Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thanks for redirecting this conversation because it really is a good discussion on two different swing path approaches. I made this video a number of years ago. No disrespect intended to LC who is amazing BUT to illustrate how 1. approach does not always match game swings. 2. How disastrous it would be if a young player took her advice literally. 3. how she approaches the swing does have a real impact on her intended bat path.

There is no question. SR is not thinking first and foremost "Turn the Barrel in the back and get on plane early". She is more likely thinking "get to and through the ball".

Anyhow. This is a pretty cool video -

Disaster on the 'here' literal.
Not the same and almost scary two different things explained that way.
i'm going with YIKES !

May 12, 2016
I feel like I've landed in a Big Foot forum.

At 8:27, this girl says this is not the right bat path, and you will never make it if you swing like this
View attachment 18909

She is demoing the bat path of every MLB hitter

mannyswingplane.gif

She says this 'short swing' 'A to B path' is the right way to go, the 'quick short swing' - 'if you want to play at the next level, you have to think about shortening up your swing'
View attachment 18908

What she is teaching is the most destructive thing you can teach. She is only repeating what she has been told by stupid coaches all her life, so I can't fully blame her. But she needs to watch her own swing, and MLB hitters to know this isn't the way any high level hitter swings.

View attachment 18910

SportsScience (line drive swing on left, home run swing on right)
hitting-swing-plane-sports-science.jpg

How many kids' swings has she ruined? How many D1 scholarships were lost?

Dads at home, time is your enemy. I lost a decade or more with my kids listening to 'experts' like this. Compare what someone is telling you to what the best hitters actually do in games using slow motion video.
Why did you lose a decade and listening and not learning? Slow motion video has been around for a long time, tons of footage, tons of video.

Dads/Moms at home, you can listen or do whatever you want and whatever you think is best for your DD. But I suggest you educate yourselves, understand what the best in the game are saying. Don't discount what the best hitters in the world are saying because at first it doesn't seem quite right to you.

Reposted

This "girl" BTW is Lauren Chamberlain, if you listen to the video she had a loop in her swing.. her coach advised her to get rid of the loop by having a down to hand path which would result in more HR's. The rest is history. Sounds very similar to the conversation Yelich had with Bonds that changed his career. Understand what is meant by "down to". Isolation of a body part can be misleading.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
S13Ir1p.gif

YLZp7Uu.gif

All back all forward creates the dreaded chop into the ground

knzdEtX.gif

vs getting leveraged fyb so the core can pull the hands "down to"

XHSjeFP.gif

k4xI3PF.gif

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
Why did you lose a decade and listening and not learning? Slow motion video has been around for a long time, tons of footage, tons of video.

Dads/Moms at home, you can listen or do whatever you want and whatever you think is best for your DD. But I suggest you educate yourselves, understand what the best in the game are saying. Don't discount what the best hitters in the world are saying because at first it doesn't seem quite right to you.

Reposted

This "girl" BTW is Lauren Chamberlain, if you listen to the video she had a loop in her swing.. her coach advised her to get rid of the loop by having a down to hand path which would result in more HR's. The rest is history. Sounds very similar to the conversation Yelich had with Bonds that changed his career. Understand what is meant by "down to". Isolation of a body part can be misleading.

It would be helpful if she actually said she is "isolating a body part". However, she is literally saying swing down on the ball and demonstrates it using a full swing, and at the 6 minute mark she demonstrates chopping down on the ball to create backspin.

Do I need some kind of decoder ring to explain what she is "really" saying?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
YES decoder ring!

Videos with no words or commentary may be more effective than when supplied with decoder ring verbage!

Also when someone demonstrates a segment of a swing, that cant or is not replecated in actual swing
can be very misdirecting to the brain.
For that may need a brain adjustment!
Did i see that ? Do this or that? Or both ? How? What? Re-wind.... and erase.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
It would be helpful if she actually said she is "isolating a body part". However, she is literally saying swing down on the ball and demonstrates it using a full swing, and at the 6 minute mark she demonstrates chopping down on the ball to create backspin.

Really, you believe this is her full swing?

See TDS's post above and this

Hope it helps decode. And I agree with you, it would be helpful, it can be misleading which is what I already mentioned. At the sametime if the best hitters in the world are all saying this, might be worth trying to understand

May 21, 2018
Really, you believe this is her full swing?

See TDS's post above and this

Hope it helps decode. And I agree with you, it would be helpful, it can be misleading which is what I already mentioned. At the sametime if the best hitters in the world are all saying this, might be worth trying to understand

I believe it's close enough to a full swing to make her point....which is swing "down to" the ball, which she clearly demonstrates at the 6 minute mark.

I mean I'm listening to the words coming out of her mouth and watching her demo.

Jun 8, 2016
I believe it's close enough to a full swing to make her point....which is swing "down to" the ball, which she clearly demonstrates at the 6 minute mark.

I mean I'm listening to the words coming out of her mouth and watching her demo.
I mean I understand Julray's point but if I gave a lecture where a student then had to do 100's of hours of research to actually understand what I was really talking about I wouldn't get very good end of semester student evaluations.. :LOL:

May 12, 2016
I mean I understand Julray's point but if I gave a lecture where a student then had to do 100's of hours of research to actually understand what I was really talking about I wouldn't get very good end of semester student evaluations.. :LOL:
Like I said it can be misleading.. I agree 100%. I can see how those in attendance can get the wrong idea. It doesn't take 100 hours(I know it's arbitrary number) for somebody to recognize a trend here, what most of the great hitters say, and try to understand what they mean. I mean if your students didn't understand a difficult concept in your lecture wouldn't you expect them to ask or research to find answer or just blow you off as old fool who doesn't have a clue. Because that's what a lot posters on this site do, Pujois, Trout, Arod, Yelich, etc. they don't have a clue, they don't know what they are talking about

Jun 8, 2016
I mean if your students didn't understand a difficult concept in your lecture wouldn't you expect them to ask or research to find answer or just blow you off as old fool who doesn't have a clue.
Well a classroom setting is different since their access to me is a lot more than LC or Pujols so yes I would expect them to ask questions. A lot of times people think they understand something but only later find out that they don't. In a classroom setting that is what office hours, etc are for..I don't think LC or Pujols have office hours :LOL: However it is also my job, since I am getting paid, to try as hard as I can to make the presentation of the material as "fool proof" as possible. That isn't always possible of course. If LC and Pujols are only presenting a portion of the "material" and don't explain that, then they are doing others a disservice (in particular LC since she was getting paid to do that clinic...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802