Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Yes I remember LC saying in a clinic that after a very successful game at the plate her hurting coach said if she corrected her path(Swing down) those Doubles would of been HRs. LC changed her approach at that point in her career and the rest is history.

Freudian slip? :ROFLMAO:

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Theories aside...... Her movement pattern is what makes her swing efficient, which I believe you agree with.

Has your DD attempted to add or focus on some of SR swing thoughts and if so do you guys feel it helped her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I wouldn't argue against emulating SR, I think it really comes down to the way SR's body is put together that allows her to do what she does the way she does.

I'm referring to bone length, tendon length and attachment points and the leverage provided.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
At the same time reading a line drive hit right at you with back spin in the outfield can be a nightmare. I don't know how many times I've seen outfielders charge a ball only to see it sail right over their head.
Outfielder tip. If a line drive is hit right at you, sink into your legs as if you are going to jump to change your depth perception. Then get your jump on the ball.

May 23, 2015
The batting practice video of Sierra has nothing to do with her game time swing or most importantly her approach at the plate

Feb 16, 2015
South East
While I wouldn't argue against emulating SR, I think it really comes down to the way SR's body is put together that allows her to do what she does the way she does.

I'm referring to bone length, tendon length and attachment points and the leverage provided.

Do you believe that there is a certain sequence that is more efficient than other sequences regardless of a person’s build?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Let me redirect the way this is going, if I may. It is not the fact the SR is aiming for the bottom 3rd, I don't believe she is. I believe that fact the she is getting the bottom 3rd is a result of approach. LC and SR are both swinging down to create backspin. Is that not exactly what she is doing in the 13 HR video? Is that not exactly what LC says changed her career?

The pitcher is throwing biscuits at her. Instead of barreling it up to lift it up, she cuts right through it. It is OBVIOUS her intent is NOT to lift the ball. She is hitting straight through the ball.

My DD went to a camp at IMO the best DII school for softball (at least in my region). The coach of this school is one of the coolest and most wonderful person coaching I have ever met. I have a friend who's daughter is a monster. She is big and strong just like her dad who I played high level competitive slow pitch with. This guy mashed moon shots in slow pitch. She (like her dad) barrels balls and hits them 250+. She hit a bunch of HRs at the clinic. Her approach was pure barrel and muscle and for her it was no problem. She is 5'10"\5'11" and strong!!!.

I wrote all this to say there was a girl there half her size, who didn't hit as many out, but hit a bunch out with the same swing you see in SR. SR is not a big girl. She does not pure barrel muscle the ball. She cuts that bad boy with a down to approach.

So as we get a little side tracked on the idea of going after the bottom 3rd, I think it is the swing down to create backspin that has a great result in a bottom 3rd shot that rises and gets out.

Intent of swinging down = bottom 3rd and out, vs pure barrel and muscle.

I just don't see SR grunting and coming out of her shoes. She is smooth almost effortless. I want my DD to emulate a SR swing.
Just saw this and thought it may help in your adventure to achieve smooth and effortless.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Let me redirect the way this is going, if I may. It is not the fact the SR is aiming for the bottom 3rd, I don't believe she is. I believe that fact the she is getting the bottom 3rd is a result of approach. LC and SR are both swinging down to create backspin. Is that not exactly what she is doing in the 13 HR video? Is that not exactly what LC says changed her career?

The pitcher is throwing biscuits at her. Instead of barreling it up to lift it up, she cuts right through it. It is OBVIOUS her intent is NOT to lift the ball. She is hitting straight through the ball.

My DD went to a camp at IMO the best DII school for softball (at least in my region). The coach of this school is one of the coolest and most wonderful person coaching I have ever met. I have a friend who's daughter is a monster. She is big and strong just like her dad who I played high level competitive slow pitch with. This guy mashed moon shots in slow pitch. She (like her dad) barrels balls and hits them 250+. She hit a bunch of HRs at the clinic. Her approach was pure barrel and muscle and for her it was no problem. She is 5'10"\5'11" and strong!!!.

I wrote all this to say there was a girl there half her size, who didn't hit as many out, but hit a bunch out with the same swing you see in SR. SR is not a big girl. She does not pure barrel muscle the ball. She cuts that bad boy with a down to approach.

So as we get a little side tracked on the idea of going after the bottom 3rd, I think it is the swing down to create backspin that has a great result in a bottom 3rd shot that rises and gets out.

Intent of swinging down = bottom 3rd and out, vs pure barrel and muscle.

I just don't see SR grunting and coming out of her shoes. She is smooth almost effortless. I want my DD to emulate a SR swing.

Thanks for redirecting this conversation because it really is a good discussion on two different swing path approaches. I made this video a number of years ago. No disrespect intended to LC who is amazing BUT to illustrate how 1. approach does not always match game swings. 2. How disastrous it would be if a young player took her advice literally. 3. how she approaches the swing does have a real impact on her intended bat path.

There is no question. SR is not thinking first and foremost "Turn the Barrel in the back and get on plane early". She is more likely thinking "get to and through the ball".

Anyhow. This is a pretty cool video -

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Do you believe that there is a certain sequence that is more efficient than other sequences regardless of a person’s build?

Still trying to figure that out. (y)

I suspect "yes". But I am not convinced 100%.

May 12, 2016
Thanks for redirecting this conversation because it really is a good discussion on two different swing path approaches. I made this video a number of years ago. No disrespect intended to LC who is amazing BUT to illustrate how 1. approach does not always match game swings. 2. How disastrous it would be if a young player took her advice literally. 3. how she approaches the swing does have a real impact on her intended bat path.

There is no question. SR is not thinking first and foremost "Turn the Barrel in the back and get on plane early". She is more likely thinking "get to and through the ball".

Anyhow. This is a pretty cool video -

Same ole story.. demo vs live swing. During LC's hitting instruction she is isolating the hands. All other components of the swing are missing. Add in the the other components(game swing) and of course the barrel takes a different path. For example, in the demo her hands start in front of her back shoulder, in the game swing hands are way behind back shoulder, stretch/proper sequence is achieved, hands are doing the same thing, the barrel is pulled forward with tremendous force, resulting barrel path is deeper and on plane earlier. In the demo proper sequence and that tremendous force is missing, instead the barrel is pushed forward. If LC instructed with a full game swing, nobody would understand what her hands actually do.

gif (13).gif gif (12).gif

And this barrel path is not somebody who's trying to get to and up through. This is somebody who's trying to stay on the plane of the pitch as long as possible. The path of her extension and the angle the ball leaves the bat says it all.

gif (14).gif

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
Same ole story.. demo vs live swing. During LC's hitting instruction she is isolating the hands. All other components of the swing are missing. Add in the the other components(game swing) and of course the barrel takes a different path. For example, in the demo her hands start in front of her back shoulder, in the game swing hands are way behind back shoulder, stretch/proper sequence is achieved, hands are doing the same thing, the barrel is pulled forward with tremendous force, resulting barrel path is deeper and on plane earlier. In the demo proper sequence and that tremendous force is missing, instead the barrel is pushed forward. If LC instructed with a full game swing, nobody would understand what her hands actually do.

View attachment 18817 View attachment 18818

And this barrel path is not somebody who's trying to get to and up through. This is somebody who's trying to stay on the plane of the pitch as long as possible. The path of her extension and the angle the ball leaves the bat says it all.

View attachment 18819

Exactly, watch her top hand.

Her demo show hands that go slightly down to right back up for the "not to do".

He top hand is working down and through. straight down. It is her body turn that provides the positive impact. The hands must stay linear and keep a linear path because the turn of the body will pull the whole system back up.

If you think get on plane early and you think positive attack on the ball with your hands and you combine that with a body turn and you get a big loop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812