Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Sounds good to me. Thank you. The very best MLB home run hitters touch one off less than 9% of their AB's. Appears it may be more feasible to work on get the getting contact on maybe a 4" sweat spot of the bat rather trying to perfect 5/16" or 7.9375 mm.
These guys are good.

May 23, 2015
In theory the video of the slowpitch guy in post #3 doing it off the tee is how you would try to do it I guess.
Not sure I would emulate a slowpitch players swing as a softball or baseball player. I traveled all over the country with the best. They can't hit water falling out of a boat unless its slower than 7mph

Its a free world though

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Seeing spin and adjusting is certainly something I did (or tried to at least) but the adjustment is a reactionary one based upon past experience of seeing curves..your brain extrapolates based upon previous experience to try and determine where the ball is going to end up and you (reactively) adjust your swing accordingly. I see that as being different than attempting to hit a certain part of the ball.

Yes once in a leveraged position you react utilizing all available resources... I did make aiming adjustments when just missing/or fouling off pitches..

Jul 29, 2013
I'm not an instructor but that makes a lot of sense. If someone is able to purposely hit a specific part of the ball that person would/should never swing and miss. :D
Except that the guy throwing it is working just as hard to make him miss.
I'm sure you've heard of hanging curve balls and batting practice fast balls....and then when they know what's coming you have the Astros.

Jul 29, 2013
That's precisely what I said :). Plus it's been determined that all pitches drop to a certain degree(Personally I still believe a good rise ball will continue an upward trajectory, but let's not open that can of worms), so if are trying to hit the ball just below center it puts you in a good position to make solid contact with idea barrel path. JMHO

Just being picky here, not sure about 1 inch below center.. might be too much?
Could be but then the ball does drop. It's another story when they're really throwing heat. Then you might adjust the target 1 inch higher than center.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478