Pulling off

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
If you have a hitter constantly pulling off the ball or dumping the barrel by either pulling the front shoulder out or raising the front shoulder- has anyone ever taught to separate or have the front elbow and shoulder work independently? Thoughts

Nov 18, 2015
Have a girl on our current team that really barrels the ball up nicely when she makes contact. However, she either starts with her front should shoulder already up, or pops it up so early, that she swings and misses often.

When she focuses on starting with her front shoulder angled down, her contact rate skyrockets. When her shoulder pops up, the barrel dumps. Keeping the shoulder down into toe-touch avoids the early barrel dump.

I'm not sure what you mean by separating the movements of the front elbow and front shoulder? Usually where one goes, the other follows. Maybe try some "rock the cradle" type drills?

Jan 28, 2017
Have a girl on our current team that really barrels the ball up nicely when she makes contact. However, she either starts with her front should shoulder already up, or pops it up so early, that she swings and misses often.

When she focuses on starting with her front shoulder angled down, her contact rate skyrockets. When her shoulder pops up, the barrel dumps. Keeping the shoulder down into toe-touch avoids the early barrel dump.

I'm not sure what you mean by separating the movements of the front elbow and front shoulder? Usually where one goes, the other follows. Maybe try some "rock the cradle" type drills?
Hard to explain. If your humorous works independently from your shoulder (it can't completely) then you can stay in the zone longer. If the humorous is fused with the shoulder it moves out or up. IMO

Jun 22, 2019

This is my daughter. She hits a bunch of dingers, but when she starts up and pulls off she misses. If she does what you’re suggesting she hits great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood