Pulling girls out on defense during the inning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
I think how you handle the player is the most important thing. Reminder her she was playing there because she's earned it. Tell her that everyone has a bad inning, game, day. Especially remind her that you and the team need her to play. I tell every kid in every sport the same thing... "Grab a breath, get some water, keep your head in the game, because we need you back out there."

As for the parents, I try to never throw ultimatums or consequential decisions at them during a game/tournament. Everyone gets a little dialed up during competition. Also set the expectation with the parents that it's not okay to come discuss coaching decisions in the dugout.
DD was pulled just this weekend for the last out of a game. The heat got to her physically, and she made a huge mental error that she normally doesn't make. It was a game losing decision. The coaches new she was struggling with the heat, and already had the other catcher geared up to come in, and she was replaced immediately after that mistake. She was upset with herself. She was embarrassed she made the mistake. Even though I denied it, and tried to soften the blow, she was upset that her decision led to the loss of the game. She was angry that the coach brought it up in the post-game talk. However, she was not humiliated for being pulled. She was not resentful or embarrassed for being pulled. I was not angry at the coach for pulling her.

I have no problem pulling a girl or boy from any position on the field. There are lessons that can be learned from being pulled. It's not the end of the world. What is important is to build kids up and not tear them down. I think it all depends on how you handle yourself, and how you handle the player in that situation. You also have to think about the message you're sending to the player that is waiting for their chance to play. They will start questioning themselves if you don't play them over a girl that is clearly off that day.

Jun 12, 2015
The only thing I will add to this is that in 20+ years of coaching softball I have seen girls cry on the field and in the dugout many times. I would guess that this is a rarity in baseball with boys. Does this mean that there is a difference in their psychological makeup and they should be coached differently?

My older daughter played baseball for 3 years, only girl on the team or any of the teams we faced. Started in 10U and went through 2nd year 12U. I saw LOTS of tears. Personality & how they're raised ("boys don't cry!" from dad will create shame around crying and they're more likely to hold it in. Nobody really says "Girls don't cry" as if it were a big, shameful thing to have emotions). Gender, eh. I hardly ever cry, never have (I'm female).

Feb 15, 2017
Right or wrong I did this one time. 10u Championship semifinal game of a big single elimination end of year tournament. Tie game 10th inning - subbed a girl in RF who had sat most of that game, parents thought she was the best thing ever...yada yada. Parents helicoptering the dugout and I said to her loud enough that everyone heard “This inning you have 1 job - you absolutely have to backup first EVERY time. Can’t take a single play off” (we practiced this thousands of times depending on where the throw was coming from) “yep coach - got it!!”

Brought my flame thrower in and as expected first pitch is bunted. 3b airmails 1B and yep you guessed it - Suzie had not moved a step....girl goes all the way to 3rd and wipes out coming around the bag otherwise she is safe by a mile. I called time - subbed her and is she is coming off she knew exactly why. Dad goes bananas on me at the back of the dugout. I stopped him and asked Suzie to tell her Dad exactly what I told her before she went out and what she told me she was gonna do......crickets.

They are 10 right?!? But see that’s where I think society is going wrong - there is NO consequences but always excuses. I don’t regret it one bit.....

Oct 4, 2018
IMO, there is a difference between an error and a player having their head up their arse.

If my DD at any point is not hustling or has that glazed look on her face- PLEASE take her out. You’ll never hear a peep from me and I might question why you didn’t pull her.

If she is making the effort and made a mistake in the process? That is another thing. Every player needs to be held accountable, but you don’t want to create players who are so afraid to make a mistake, that they don’t get after it.

Maybe a warning or a quick check in prior to pulling her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true.

I'm an AC, and because of that elevated parental status, have told my HC to yank my daughter if she's not showing focus or effort. And most of our parents expect the same.

If you coach and don't have the "parents have to wait 24 hours to discuss games with me" rule, you should implement it. Helps the parents cool off, helps you not get caught up in it and say things you maybe wouldn't the next day.

May 17, 2012
You shouldn't be pulling defensive players mid inning. You can justify it all you want with "life lessons" and "lack of effort and hustle".

And no pulling a pitcher is not the same thing.

You can do better as a coach. Be better.

Mar 28, 2014
A big part of coaching is keeping your players motivated, focused and working hard. So if they are making mistakes because of a lack of focus, whose fault is it again? The player? Really?

Maybe the coach should pull himself out of the dugout and into the stands mid-inning if his players aren't focused? There's more to it than rolling the ball out into the circle and expecting the kids to do the rest. It's time the coaches take some ownership of their players lack of focus.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Right or wrong I did this one time. 10u Championship semifinal game of a big single elimination end of year tournament. Tie game 10th inning - subbed a girl in RF who had sat most of that game, parents thought she was the best thing ever...yada yada. Parents helicoptering the dugout and I said to her loud enough that everyone heard “This inning you have 1 job - you absolutely have to backup first EVERY time. Can’t take a single play off” (we practiced this thousands of times depending on where the throw was coming from) “yep coach - got it!!”

Brought my flame thrower in and as expected first pitch is bunted. 3b airmails 1B and yep you guessed it - Suzie had not moved a step....girl goes all the way to 3rd and wipes out coming around the bag otherwise she is safe by a mile. I called time - subbed her and is she is coming off she knew exactly why. Dad goes bananas on me at the back of the dugout. I stopped him and asked Suzie to tell her Dad exactly what I told her before she went out and what she told me she was gonna do......crickets.

They are 10 right?!? But see that’s where I think society is going wrong - there is NO consequences but always excuses. I don’t regret it one bit.....

Just a question, you pulled the RF, what did you do to the 3B that actually caused the error?

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
... l I have seen girls cry on the field and in the dugout many times. I would guess that this is a rarity in baseball with boys...

I coach 9u baseball and the boys cry FAR more than the girls do, from 8-10 (if not longer). In my experience boys are much less capable of managing their emotions and expectations than girls are at those ages (and maybe at all ages lol).

To the topic, outside of blatant laziness the only time I'd pull a position player during an inning is if the scales have tipped so far that they are drowning and leaving them in is doing more damage to them than just pulling them and letting them mentally reset. There have been a handful of times I've seen time called and the kid begs to come out or switch positions because they are in their head so badly. Otherwise, let them play their way out of it.

Jun 8, 2016
I coach 9u baseball and the boys cry FAR more than the girls do, from 8-10 or so (not just mine- walk through the ballpark and watch when things aren't going well for a team). In my experience boys are much less capable of managing their emotions and expectations than girls are at those ages (and maybe at all ages lol).
I am not too proud to admit that I was a "crier" until I was probably 10 or 11 years old. As I got older crying morphed into bat/glove/hat/water cooler/etc. throwing. Also, yes I agree that in general boys do cry more than girls, at the younger ages in particular before the effects of testosterone take control and they then resort to the aforementioned throwing of inanimate objects ;)

Feb 15, 2017
Just a question, you pulled the RF, what did you do to the 3B that actually caused the error?

Great question. Nothing. Just the old “hey we need a better throw next time”.

I promise them all one thing every year - I will NEVER yell at them/punish them for lack of results because we cannot catch every ball clean or hit every pitch, however lack of effort and complete lack of focus will always be addressed since those are of the FEW things that you can control! I have a million tons of patience for errors and strikeouts, just zero for lack of effort.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28