Pulling girls out on defense during the inning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Onto the original post. If you need to make a change mid-inning, there is a good way to do this without unnecessarily humiliating a player by pulling them out mid-inning. Use one of your conferences - go tell the umpire you are going to make the move, bring everyone into the circle along with your sub and then when you break, the sub goes to the position and the subbed player goes back to the bench. It is such a small thing, but it makes it much less of an aggressive and dramatic move. "

But this ^^^^^^ is a good idea

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I coach and have coached both boys and girls sports. I simply coach. I think it is a disservice to think that I have to temper what I do because girls can't take it. Fundamentals are simply that regardless of the sport. Expectations for intensity, commitment, effort, ... all are the same.

Jul 14, 2017
IMO, there is a difference between an error and a player having their head up their arse.

If my DD at any point is not hustling or has that glazed look on her face- PLEASE take her out. You’ll never hear a peep from me and I might question why you didn’t pull her.

If she is making the effort and made a mistake in the process? That is another thing. Every player needs to be held accountable, but you don’t want to create players who are so afraid to make a mistake, that they don’t get after it.

Maybe a warning or a quick check in prior to pulling her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
This player I reference is also a pitcher that can’t keep her composure when things go bad. She starts crying, red faced, the whole bit. I apologized to the parent after the next couple games were over. I was honest with him and told him that from my perspective, she acts this way due to them (parents) always trying to rescue her or make her feel better. I’ve coached her for almost 1 year and have had other issues with her parents. We won the game 5-4. I’m not all about winning. However, at some point, you owe it to the team to do what’s necessary to win the game. If I ignored it (no outs in the inning), I think we would have lost. If the same things happened to my DD I would tell her she has to perform better.

Jun 12, 2015
This sort of comment annoys me. Sorry, nothing personal, and I know 'everyone' says these sorts of things - but there is no such thing as 'boys coaching methods' or 'girls coaching methods' . Same with the whole play good/feel good - they are all cop outs and poor generalizations. There is no reason to be more or less specifically intellectual or emotional when coaching either gender.

THANK YOU. I was going to say this but instead I'll just agree with you.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
THANK YOU. I was going to say this but instead I'll just agree with you.

The only thing I will add to this is that in 20+ years of coaching softball I have seen girls cry on the field and in the dugout many times. I would guess that this is a rarity in baseball with boys. Does this mean that there is a difference in their psychological makeup and they should be coached differently?

Aug 12, 2014
The only thing I will add to this is that in 20+ years of coaching softball I have seen girls cry on the field and in the dugout many times. I would guess that this is a rarity in baseball with boys. Does this mean that there is a difference in their psychological makeup and they should be coached differently?

I have coached both and I have seen plenty of boys cry in the dugout. I'm sure I've seen more girls cry than boys, but boys get emotional. All kids have difference in their psychological makeup and you need to try to figure it out regardless of gender.

As for the OP, you need to be very clear that you pulled her because of her lack of focus and hustle, not for dropping a ball.

Mar 28, 2014
There are scientifically proven Cognitive, anatomical, and physiological differences between males and females yet some folks want to coach them the same? Seems like that is ignoring the scientific facts and instead relying on their gut feelings but what do I know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802