Proud of my kid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD started high school ball last year and she was just on JV. This season, her coach mostly had her training with Varsity players during the summer practices and he had already added her to the Varsity roster in June. But later in the summer, he was still undecided exactly where she would go. The first game of the season she did not play. But then played the second game. Did okay - was walked and ROE (but drove in a run). She played in another game but didn't do well (none of the team did) and has only played defense in some other games. He had her play in a few JV games as well.

We've been trying to really get her more confident at the plate however. That's where she struggles in high school. This last week at practice she hit one that hit the scoreboard but it was off coach pitch so she knows it's much harder off real pitchers. But I think her coach was happy at least.

This past weekend we played two games on Saturday where she actually started and went 3-5 and drove in 2 runs. Then last nite, he started her again and this was against our region leader so that surprised me. She was 2-4 and now in our stats she's 2nd in Batting AVG and 3rd in OPS. This has been a rough season for our team so no one's average is great except for a few girls. But with 1/2 the At Bats she's doing pretty well.

Edited to add: Our local paper writes up about the sports in our county - we are in the largest county in our state so we have tons of high school sports. She was mentioned in last night's paper and then the one from the past weekend. Cool seeing her name in the paper :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Some more bragging on my kid. DD is not one of the chosen 7 who start every game for her HS team. She plays RF when she plays and that position gets girls rotating in and out. When he wants to play someone else there, sometimes he has DD DP. But again the chosen 7 never change and play every game. Since DD started getting to play more, her BA has remained in the top 3 as well as OPS. TBH I'm surprised she has done this well hitting because usually that is where she really struggles. In one game recently, she hit one that hit the fence - DD has never hit a HR in play before - she's only hit 2 off coach pitch - so that one was a surprise.
In a region game last week she was 2-2 with a SF. And she didn't start the game on Monday but came in to pinch hit for someone in the later innings - first pitch hit to CF that scored a run.

Proud of DD for doing her best each game even if the coach doesn't see her as one of his chosen. I just figure that is HS and just deal with it :/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812