Proper receiving of pitches off the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
When I call a pitch 2 balls off the plate, the river pitch, I'm not going for a called strike. I'm going for swinging strike or bad contact or just make them think. Also, sometimes I use it to set up the inside fastball. A reason to setup the catcher out there is so that the pitcher doesn't pull the pitch back into the strike zone because that's where the catcher is. I want a BALL.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Also, there is no right or wrong in where to set up. It is the managers team, he can put anyone anywhere he sees fit. This isn't a technique issue, purely defensive positioning. You wouldn't say, geez my fielding coach says TB coach is wrong for 3B setting up closer to the 3B line than what we've been taught. If that's what (s)he wants, that's what he should get...

When I call a pitch 2 balls off the plate, the river pitch, I'm not going for a called strike. I'm going for swinging strike or bad contact or just make them think. Also, sometimes I use it to set up the inside fastball. A reason to setup the catcher out there is so that the pitcher doesn't pull the pitch back into the strike zone because that's where the catcher is. I want a BALL.

Good to know, always great to hear another perspective. Thank you!

May 6, 2015
I can completely understand the concept of wanting something unhittable (DW says she is sick of me talking to myself when DD is behind the plate with a 1-2 or 0-2 count "nothing hittable kiddo" as she is giving signals). there are times when you want unhittable balls even if they dont swing (like with w on and the girl at the plate rocked a 3 RBI triple last at bat). but you still should set up on the black, easy enough to lean/slide/reach, and this way if the pitcher misses the other way, they can still protect the PU.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Agree with in or out pitches catchers body nose or belly button lines up with the black/edge of plate.

Body frames the plate.
Glove frames the pitch.

Great for all pitches.
Really helps with curves/screwballs!
As we know generally when curves and screwballs are thrown.
Aiming for outside edges
or off the plate.
The spin is moving away from plate. Toward outside of plate and off the plate.

To explain
Body frames the plate....
Outside shoulder becomes outside edge of strike zone.
Glove arm 'out front' can shave/frame pitch.
Bring ball/presents ball toward strike zone.
Subtle wrist movement.
*Can and have receive pitches
2 softballs off the plate and create strikes!!

(Disagree with catcher staying in center and leaning technique to try and receive or frame outside pitches.
Because
Creates reaching for pitch.
Adds extra unecessary body movement. Some Umpires react to body moving off the plate to the ball.
Can take balance away.
Obvious too how far pitch moves off plate. Less control of body mechanics receiving pitch to make a defensive throw.
Moves catcher out of strike zone
Rather than bring pitch into strike zone, does not adjust ball location at all)

Glad there are different
mechanics to use
for people to think thru!

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
As an umpire, I am not thrilled when a catcher takes off for another zip code before the pitch. But you know what? I’m a big boy and I am wearing protective equipment, so I shouldn’t be what you are concerned about.

Your main concern should be that you are telling everybody, including the batter, what you are throwing when you move your catcher around.

You are throwing that pitch out/up/down there to try to get the batter to swing. Why are you telling the batter ahead of time “This is a junk pitch”?

As a catcher I had the same opinion. But then I was blessed with fast hands, good reflexes, and a pitching staff that knew what they were doing.

We picked up a catcher that had been playing pgf I was sitting next to her dad. When we called pitch 2 ball out she set up 2 balls out so she could stick the catch straight in front of her chin and hold it and the ump would ring the batter up almost every time. The dad says it’s unbelievable how many strikes a good catcher can steal by setting up right vs trying to jerk frame or wrist moving after catch. Afterwards I paid close attention to other umpires ringing up batters on pitch over chalk of batters box apparently they are watching catcher not strike zone over plate. It drives me crazy but I saw it with my own eyes. Once our regular catcher came back we never got those calls but she stay behind plate and reach.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Enjoy reading stories like
that Laphoneman

Yep great framing
Gets more strikes!
Watching then listening to other teams fans complain about an umpires zone....
Really many times its the difference of mechanics behind the plate!

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If I was an ump I don't think I'd like it if the catcher left me and set up in the opposite batter's box.
I have a photo somewhere of my dd hitting in college with the catcher set up along the inside batter's box line. (Left handed hitter.)

As a coaching point, I throw balls from about 25 feet and have my catchers try to catch, "the outside" part of the ball. The "top" of the ball. The "inside" part of the ball. ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee