Proper receiving of pitches off the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My dd catcher has always been instructed after giving her pitcher the sign she moves into position as late as possible wherever that may be. If a pitch is called off the plate then she moves slightly lining up with the corner of the plate. Her tb coach yells at her if he calls a pitch two balls off the plate and she doesn’t line her chest up with that.
Let’s face it at 14u the pitchers don’t always hit their spots and if she did move that far out it makes it somewhat difficult to block a pitch off the other side of the plate from the other. Her catching instructer tells her her tb Coach is incorrect and she should never setup that far out and personally I agree. If nothing else let her use the outside knee as a target...
So my question is this is my dd doing it correctly lining up with the corner or should she be lining up with whatever the call is one or two balls off the plate? And next how to handle it with the tb coach if We’re correct. His fussing with my daughter has decreased her confidence to say the least.

It’s 2 balls off the plate. What does it matter where she receives it? It’s a ball.

Yeah and I get that. I agree with you. Her tb coach is yelling at her because she doesn’t setup that far off the plate. Because she sets up at the corner she’s been able to frame in some pitches that were off the plate and get the call. I think it’s stupid and a dead give away of the pitch location to setup any further. Just looking for some clarification that I’m not being a donkey.

May 6, 2015
DD had a coach too that kep telling her to set up further and further off. then complained when he did not get the call. finally the ump turned to him and said she is in the other batters box, no way are you getting that.

I am in the school of the catcher's nose should never be outside the black. exception might be if you have someone with extreme movement (think BRad Lidge slider in 08), and you know chances are catcher will have to be blocking in other box.

DD had a coach too that kep telling her to set up further and further off. then complained when he did not get the call. finally the ump turned to him and said she is in the other batters box, no way are you getting that.

I am in the school of the catcher's nose should never be outside the black. exception might be if you have someone with extreme movement (think BRad Lidge slider in 08), and you know chances are catcher will have to be blocking in other box.

Thank you for your response. I'm along the same lines of you with not setting up outside the black. Just doesn't make sense. I think I'm more taken back with the coach fussing as loudly and forcefully as he was towards her. I guess DD needs to learn from this and assert herself with him that she is doing it correctly and what he is promoting is incorrect.

May 17, 2012
Exactly. What kind of coach has a signal for a pitch 2 balls off the plate? Why not 1 ball or 1/2 a ball. My point is that's it's not the catcher that has the problem.

A pitch two ball lengths of of the plate is not hittable. A pitch that is one ball length off of the plate is hittable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28