Professional editing of emails to college coaches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
DD wants me to hire a professional sports recruiting editor for her emails to college coaches. She said a friend had one professionally edited and claims it looks much better than the one she and I worked on together. I'm trying to tell her that her email probably looks more honest even if not so perfectly polished.

What do people here generally do, write emails to coaches entirely by themselves or have them reviewed professionally? Should I be investing in having someone edit her emails?

I really not interested in hiring someone, but if it is essential I'd like to know.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
To answer your question, I would say no.

Agree!

DD is a junior and has been writing emails for about a year now.
I always made her compose the emails herself. Early on, I would suggest "talking points" but that is about it.
It is a skill a kid needs to develop, regardless of softball recruitment.
And the vibe i get from seasoned parents here is: coaches want to communicate with the player, not the parent (even if a proxy)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
College coaches can tell who is generating the emails. Parents can help proof read it but the kids HAVE to be involved. If the kids don't do it now, when are they going to learn. Coaches don't need pretty emails with perfect grammar. DD rec'd emails from a coach that is at one of the most prestigious private universities in the country and her grammar was horrible. No capitalization and spell check!

May 27, 2013
Just please have your dd use spell check! One of our former travel team players who plays at college now was asked to skim potential recruit emails for her college coach. She was told to discard the ones with spelling errors. The coach’s reasoning - spelling errors = laziness.

Nov 27, 2012
Coaches want to build a relationship with the player they want to recruit and it's not going to work if the first meet up is a lie. I am sure coaches can easily differentiate an email that is written by a high school kid and a professional email writer. Tell your daughter to be who she is so the coach who is recruiting her is recruiting the real person.

Nov 27, 2012
Try a genuine hand written note to the coach and see what happens. :)
The Coach that my daughter is going to play for will send a hand written note every month, it was just couple lines of encouragement or thinking about you,, but it was like million dollars for my daughter.

Oct 16, 2019
Definitely not needed. My daughter writes all her own emails and will ask my wife and I to look it over for any typo's and/or punctuation. She's gotten great at writing them and replying to coaches who reach out to her as well. Now she calls a lot of coaches after a while of emailing . One D1 coach was very impressed by her call because she said 99% of girls give up if they don't hear back via email but she stayed on it and called and now is very much on their radar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802