Priorities in teaching hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2008
Here is my number one belief in hitting, and what I have done with my daughter.

1. Can't see it, won't hit it.

We have a tarp with a stike zone drawn on it set up in the basement and we do this drill.

-I get a bucket of about 20 balls and she gets her bat and helmut on.
-She then gets into her stance in front of the tarp.
-I pitch the balls at her from about 25 feet making sure she does the soft focus then hard focus.
-For the first bucket she has to watch the balls all the way until they hit the tarp.
-The next bucket she has to watch the balls hit the tarp and she calls them balls or strikes according to where they hit.
-The next bucket she has to call them balls or strikes before they hit the tarp. And then actually see where they do hit. Neet to see how many she gets right on the last one!!

Ken

May 7, 2008
DFW
Swing plane first.

One of the most important parts of the swing is the establishment of a consistent swing plane. You want a swing plane that is slightly upward to the ball at contact. The result will be a rising line drive.

To create that swing plane on a consistent basis the player has to be in the correct posture. That posture being what Amy described in her thread but then having the batter tilt over at the waist. In other words stick your butt out. Spine angle should be straight and chest should be out. Not slouched. Do not sit in your stance. That is not an athletic position.

The tilt will establish the slightly upward swing plane as long as the player stays in that position and doesnt stand up during the swing process.

Elliott.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee