Predictions on the WCWS??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
A few random comments about this year's WCWS:

- hats off to UCLA for their 12th national title and glad to see the Pac 12 making a strong showing this year;

- the two best teams this year were Washington and UCLA and all I could think of was that their semi-final game should have been the finals. It was an awesome pitching duel between arguably the two best pitchers in college (Garcia and Alvelo);

- Speaking of Rachel Garcia, two time POY and also has a mean bat. Just sick and only a Junior. She may be a three-time POY by this time next year and likely be on the 2020 US Olympic team;

- No one threw a "true" riseball, they were effective but mainly titled up bullet spin fastballs. Barnhill gets the closest to 6-12 backspin but was very inconsistent this season (part mental , maybe injured, and/or team's started to figure her out)?

- Very little small ball nowadays, it's all or nothing swings. I think they said that more than 50-60% of the runs in the final series came on home runs.

- I'm glad ESPN shows all of the games in primetime even though its "only" women's softball;

- Shay Knighten, just a beast!

- Lastly, a few years ago players in the dugout at regionals and supers would dress up in the most ridiculous outfits (e.g. large plastic horseheads, skits, even disrepecting their coaches during interviews, etc.) I'm glad someone (NCAA, teams? ) talked to the players and got rid of most of that nonsense so we could focus on what is truly important in these nationally televised games: the awesome play of these incredible athletles! Another great season for D1 softball and exciting WCWS!

Mar 13, 2010
A few random comments about this year's WCWS:

- hats off to UCLA for their 12th national title and glad to see the Pac 12 making a strong showing this year;

- the two best teams this year were Washington and UCLA and all I could think of was that their semi-final game should have been the finals. It was an awesome pitching duel between arguably the two best pitchers in college (Garcia and Alvelo);

- Lastly, a few years ago players in the dugout at regionals and supers would dress up in the most ridiculous outfits (e.g. large plastic horseheads, skits, even disrepecting their coaches during interviews, etc.) I'm glad someone (NCAA, teams? ) talked to the players and got rid of most of that nonsense so we could focus on what is truly important in these nationally televised games: the awesome play of these incredible athletles! Another great season for D1 softball and exciting WCWS!

So to these two points

I agree that Washington and UCLA should have been the championship series. Unfortunately the PAC we’re all on the same side.

But Gabbie Plain pitched most of that game. She pitched 7 innings. Alvelo is an amazing pitcher but UCLA has her number hence Gabbie doing most of the pitching.

The players were still doing that. The good luck charms and clowning in the background during interviews. So not sure what you mean in stopping them?

Feb 7, 2013
"The players were still doing that. The good luck charms and clowning in the background during interviews. So not sure what you mean in stopping them? "

Not sure you remember 3 or 4 years ago but the skits, outfits, huge plastic horse heads, etc. were out of control in the dugout, presumely to get on ESPN's sportscenter highlights. They "jumped the shark" if you will. When you compare that to this years' regionals and supers it was much more toned down. My point is keep the attention on the players on the field and not on who can "one up each other" in the dugout.

Good catch about WA pitching, both Plain and Alvelo were incredible this season.

jdbruns11

There ain't Nothin' Soft about it!
Jun 9, 2019
we went and had a blast! my girl's 12U and gave her something to work for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101