Pre-motion body lean foward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
What helped my dd to really understand the forward lean was by having her stand straight up in front of me with her arms stretched out. I asked her to push me. Then I asked her to think about what she can do to push me and try again. She had learned the importance of the lean from a prior lesson but it was in this moment that it really clicked for her. She got her lean and started pushing me. This may or may not work for your dd but thought I throw it out there. Sometimes doing something else to get the feel of how it works could be all it takes.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
can you elaborate on this posture? don't want to stride into the "danger zone" :)

It's not an exact science... more of an observation. Can she maintain her posture... is the motion ugly? Changes usually come gradually... start with a little whole body lean... then a little more, then a little more, etc.

The key is to make sure that the position of the body is organized more efficiently. Efficiency allows her to do more than previously... not less. Video is helpful. Take a 'pre' video... and then use that as a comparison to track her progress.

What helped my dd to really understand the forward lean was by having her stand straight up in front of me with her arms stretched out. I asked her to push me. Then I asked her to think about what she can do to push me and try again. She had learned the importance of the lean from a prior lesson but it was in this moment that it really clicked for her. She got her lean and started pushing me. This may or may not work for your dd but thought I throw it out there. Sometimes doing something else to get the feel of how it works could be all it takes.

I do this too... only I put my hands on their shoulders lightly... and as soon as they start transferring weight rearwards (glove leg), I try and knock them on their butt. To prevent this, they quickly learn to lower their center of gravity by aligning their nose in front of their knee, and knee in front of pitching side toes. If they bend at the waist, they end up going a$$ over tea kettle. I then let them try it without me... then with me... then without, etc... until the "drop & drive" concept is in place. For a reference of the posture they need to create... see the images above (you can see that all the pitchers are on their glove-side leg... this is when you're really pushing them... only I do it as soon as I sense they are starting the transfer). This allows them to understand how to use the glove-side leg to generate forward momentum.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
adjusting the lean/shin angle:

2 things DD said:

"I feel like i'm falling down" and "I feel like i'm being rushed".... both unsolicited

looks like DD's doing something right :)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
IMHO, the trick to the lean forward prior to the pitch is that #1. it's a lean, not a dip. Meaning the back leg has to stay straight to keep the pressure for push off on the front leg. Once the back leg bends, the weight will sink her butt down losing the explosion. #2. the lean forward is an ABSOLUTE in my book but the shoulders need to come back as the explosion forward happens. So she releases with her CHIN behind the BALL. So lean in forward for the push, then be tall when you release the ball!!!

Bill

The bold part. With young pitchers, they tend to not want to come back up after they explode.

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
DD just incorporated the lean this week from PC.

What I noticed:

1. She immediately added 2 mph to her FB.
2. Her control improved dramatically (we had issues with her back swing and unnecessary upper body movement that have been mostly eliminated with the lean)
3. She doesn't like the lean, it feels weird.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A good drive sequence usually takes care of the transition from forward to rearward posture. For kids struggling, offer a cue or two to help them get the feel of shoulders/chin back so they get into a good posture for release.

LeanForwardBack.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28