Pre Game Warmup for Batters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
I have a new to 12U. She is 11 and she is the lead off hitter for her team. The issue we are having is getting her ready to bat before a game. Pre Covid she was 10U and we could go to the batting cages an hour before the game to get her going. Now the cages are full an hour before with a waiting list. So I am looking for ideas to get her warmed up before team drills start.

Loved the cages run her though all speeds one time to get her eyes adjusted and we were ready to go.

any suggestions are welcomed

May 23, 2015
Buy some wiffle balls and find a spot to hit. They dont travel too far and don't damage anything if they're hit in the wrong direction. Don't be fooled into using heavy balls. They're terrible

Dec 10, 2018
Buy some wiffle balls and find a spot to hit. They dont travel too far and don't damage anything if they're hit in the wrong direction. Don't be fooled into using heavy balls. They're terrible
ok now I'm intrigued. why are heavy balls "terrible"?

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I liked using the heavy balls in conjunction with wiffles. If the girls only did wiffles, they tended to get lazy after several swings because the balls still fly out almost the same distance. If they knew there were heavies after the wiffles, they used the wiffles to build up to full swing because hitting heavies requires honest work.

Side note, getting a heavy lined back at you isn't too bad, but is a unique feeling. Not an instant sting of a wiffle, or a "SON-OF-A-BISCUIT!" sharp pain of a regular ball, but more of a delayed, deep pain like "I think my sternum touched my spine!"

May 23, 2015
No one on this planet loves to hit more than I do. I'm 51 and take 20 to 50 cuts a day 7 days a week. About 10 or more years ago total control sent me a couple dozen to try out. Theyre terrible. The most negative feedback you can receive as a hitter. Players don't like them. They're just a gimmick

That said total control makes very nice wiffles. Theyre tough to break

Aug 6, 2013
No one on this planet loves to hit more than I do. I'm 51 and take 20 to 50 cuts a day 7 days a week. About 10 or more years ago total control sent me a couple dozen to try out. Theyre terrible. The most negative feedback you can receive as a hitter. Players don't like them. They're just a gimmick

That said total control makes very nice wiffles. Theyre tough to break
My 16u daughter asks me to go throw her TCB in the backyard regularly. She does get feedback and knows how to adjust to make the balls fly how she wants. We use them all the time and it gives me a chance to throw to her at home instead of having to pack everything up and go to the field at the park.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi