Pre game warm ups 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How long? How structured? Is it a regiment? Like, same number of bownets? Is it always the same routine? How serious? How focused? Are the coaches orchestrating it? Is it almost militant? Do coaches warm up pitchers enabling catcher(s) to get their warm ups in? When do you tell the pitcher she is starting?? If your playing 3 games do you warm up all the pitchers before first game?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
How long? Typically about 45 min to an hour max
How structured? Depends on age and level but I prefer they do the same thing every time to enhance consistency
Is it a regiment? ?? mostly
Like, same number of bownets? Usually 2 and one was always side toss and one we would rotate between tee or another side toss.
Is it always the same routine? Yes. See above about consistency
How serious? How focused? I like it more focused but also not so intense that its not fun. Typical we played like we warmed up. I could usually tell how serious/focused we were in warm ups As to how we would play that game.
Are the coaches orchestrating it? Depends on age. Up to 14u I like to have a coach oversee it. At 14u we set the workout and then gave them the reins to run the warm up.
Is it almost militant? No, but structured yes.
Do coaches warm up pitchers enabling catcher(s) to get their warm ups in? Sometimes. we tried to have the starting P/C go through hitting first to get started and the secondary’s right behind them. But if needed, we would have a coach catch a pitcher.
When do you tell the pitcher she is starting?? Done it multiple ways. need to know you r pitcher. preferred to tell the starter ahead of time but I have had those that get too worked up if they thought about it too long.. (10u-12u)
If your playing 3 games do you warm up all the pitchers before first game? No. There is usually time to warm up the starter for the following games between innings.

YMMV

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
These may help out at all age levels

- STOP Doing Quick throws [Softball Pregame Tips]

- 3 Pregame Strategies, Tips and Softball Drills for Better Throwing

- COACHES: Best Softball Throwing Tips for Between Innings

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If your playing 3 games do warm up all pitchers before first game? No. There is usually time to warm up the starter for the following games between innings.

YMMV
Nice details in post!

To this point of warming up pitchers.
While i read mentioned knowing your pitchers important.
Add
Seeing the pitchers befor games start can give a better view for the day who's on mark.
Unless 3rd game is much later
And depending on level and goal for the day,...
Like to see how things are looking to make best decision.

For those back to back games
Takes more like 20 to 30 minutes for pitcher to warm up.

Good to get the next pitcher some warm up time in the last innings of previous game !
( off the field down the line/bullpen)
Nothing worse than a pitcher not properly warmed up ready to throw. Seeing those affects the first one or two innings while the other team does batting practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802