Practice swings to brush back catcher(?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
If my DD caught and the umpire didn't do anything a water bottle toss would be in order :LOL:

Jun 8, 2016
That would be a heck of a toss from Left Field. :unsure:
I have a gun (of an arm) 😂 In all seriousness, if nobody did anything about it (coaches included) I wouldn't be too happy. Not sure how I would really respond since nobody has done anything outside the norm of the game to harm my DD yet but I do know I would be foaming at the mouth..

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
The batter has every right to stand at the back of the box and extend her swing.

The catcher has every right to sit as close to home plate has possible and extend her arm.

Until contact is made, you have nothing. Jockeying and some poor sportsmanship probably, but nothing illegal.

Once contact is made, the umpire has to make some decisions on what happened: [note: not all codes have all these terms]

1) If the contact happened while the batter was bringing the bat back before a pitch, you have backswing interference on the batter.

2) If the contact happened on a swing at a pitch, you have catcher’s obstruction.

3) If the contact happened after the swing at a pitch, you have follow-through interference on the batter.

4) If the contact happened while the catcher was attempting to throw out a runner, you may have interference on the batter.

chin music ;)

[takes off umpiring hat]

When I caught ... yep. Or the ball going back to the pitcher.

[puts umpire hat back on]

Don‘t do that kids.

Dec 11, 2010
A long time ago, in a 10u galaxy far, far away, we played a rotten little team coached by Imperials of the Galactic Empire that loved to fake bunt/steal and they would swing the bat head back on the bunt pullback and try to hit the catchers glove. When it hit, they usually got a catcher int call which may or may not have been the right call.

May 29, 2015
A long time ago, in a 10u galaxy far, far away, we played a rotten little team coached by evil elves that loved to fake bunt/steal and they would swing the bat head back on the bunt pullback and try to hit the catchers glove. When it hit, they usually got a catcher int call which may or may not have been the right call.

Not the right call ... not even close to the right call.

Dec 11, 2010
What is weird is even if it somehow fit some perceived loophole in the rules, it is totally against the spirit of the game.

We only played that team on their home turf and maybe there was a regional misinterpretation type deal going on. Also, every once in awhile coaches manage to convince umpires that nonexistent rules apply etc. It’s a talent I guess.

Jul 22, 2015
Holding the bat in a bunting position is one thing, but looking back at the catcher during a pitch is an easy tip off to any conscious umpire. Should be an unsportsmanlike / interference call every time.
Where the batter is looking is not relevant. It is legal to hold the bat in that position and hope to distract the catcher. Now, if I were pitching the batter might be very surprised where the pitch ended up.

Jul 22, 2015
Saw something new in last weekend's tournament.

While in the batter's box, she would swing the bat back like a golf club and basically bring it straight behind her, level with the ground and as far as she could reach it while holding her feet/body in a normal batting stance. Then if the pitch wasn't delivered right away, she'd continue to swing the bat directly behind her back and forth like a pendulum. If the catcher wasn't at least 5' behind her, they were at risk of being hit by the bat during this "warm-up."
I've seen this happen in a baseball game and the catcher allowed the bat to hit his glove on the way back up (actually he essentially "caught" it) which didn't allow the batter to get into position for a swing. After some argument he was made to continue the at bat and that action stopped.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812