Practice swings to brush back catcher(?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Not sure the definition leaves much room for opinion.

We play under USA Softball rules and their definition is pretty clear. Not agreeing with it does not mean it isn't a violation... If the batter is intentionally putting their bat in the sightline of the catcher they are actively impeding her from trying to make a play.
I disagree that it is "actively impeding". The definition is very broad. Things like fake steals, fake bunts, etc. could even be lumped into this category if you interpret it broadly enough and decide it "hinders or confuses" the defense. My main objection is the thought that the batter could fake the bunt then pull it back legally but somehow looking back at the catcher makes it illegal.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
I disagree that it is "actively impeding". The definition is very broad. Things like fake steals, fake bunts, etc. could even be lumped into this category if you interpret it broadly enough and decide it "hinders or confuses" the defense. My main objection is the thought that the batter could fake the bunt then pull it back legally but somehow looking back at the catcher makes it illegal.

I think the issue is with a batter looking back prior to the pitch to make sure their bat is at eye level with the catcher. This is showing the intent to interfere with the catcher.

A typical fake bunt is not interference.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
That is an interesting one. I think I would be unlikely to catch that as the umpire, unless I happened to notice the batter‘s head turned around before the pitch gets there.

If I saw it (and that is a huge “if”), I might have an interference call. If not, I would definitely have a word with the coach and the batter. “Coach, batter ... that can be considered interference. I catch it again and not only are we going to have problems, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the next pitch didn’t result in a hit batter. Let’s knock it off before things escalate.”

I haven‘t noticed this ... but things like this tend to be at the older levels due to the skill needed to pull it off, IMO.

I don't know...my experience is that most all attempts for advantage that weren't clearly within the framework of the rules suddenly disappeared with 12U. It was as if the coaches who couldn't do well without such bush league tactics suddenly couldn't find any more players. By 16/18U, most coaches I've encountered have been at it for a long time, and some even coach HS or small college teams.

May 29, 2015
I’ll agree the obvious ones are at younger levels because they don’t have the skill to pull it off. It seems more frequent because of those coaches that you mention ... ;)

... but the good ones are the older players. Sometimes at the coach’s directive, sometimes on their own.

I posted on here before about making an interference call on a batter at 18u when she waited for the ball to go by and then stuck her bat out as the catcher came up to make the throw. It was one of those well-known regional programs. The coach came unglued on the player and asked her what she was thinking. She replied rather loudly “Coach So-and-so (the well-known founder of the program) taught me to do that.” 😲🤫😢🤬

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just saw batter interference call 18u this weekend.
After pitch....
Batter "casually" stepped into the river holding their bat.
And sorta looked down at 3rd base coach.
( looked like being an intentional dork )
Runner was stealing.
Catcher had to alter throw.
Umpire was on it!

Result
Runner back to first.
Batter out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478