Practice swings to brush back catcher(?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
Saw something new in last weekend's tournament.

One particular batter from a team we played had a peculiar warm-up routine, which she did every swing of every at-bat. While in the batter's box, she would swing the bat back like a golf club and basically bring it straight behind her, level with the ground and as far as she could reach it while holding her feet/body in a normal batting stance. Then if the pitch wasn't delivered right away, she'd continue to swing the bat directly behind her back and forth like a pendulum. If the catcher wasn't at least 5' behind her, they were at risk of being hit by the bat during this "warm-up."

It certainly had the appearance of being an intentional way to push the catchers farther away from the plate. Our catchers couldn't even snug up on her after her routine because there was no telling when she was going to twitch back with the bat. If they were in actual proper position, they'd be taking a bat under the chin for sure (ok, it would probably hit their arm and glove first). Perhaps it is just something random that developed over time and is just now her normal routine, but this was a VERY well coached A level team -- I find it hard to believe this wasn't coached and done with a purpose (though it was only one specific batter from that team).

Is this a "thing"? We've played a few years of TB (12U and younger) and my catcher DD has never seen anything like this. Maybe this is just something that's just a new part of the game to get used as we play at higher levels. If so, how do you teach catchers to deal with it? If not, (and I hope it's not a normal thing, because it seemed to me to be both dangerous and unsportsmanlike), what recourse is there? Based on my amateur's review of the rules, nothing in here seems to violate any specific rule (we were playing under ASA rules). In retrospect, she was definitely swinging the bat through the area defined as the catcher's box... if that matters.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
My DD also catches and I don't know how you'd handle that at 12U, but as she gets older I'm sure the batter would see it's not in her best interest to pull crap like that.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD had that happen once at that age. Blue told the batter, "One more time and you'll be ejected for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. The catcher is where she's supposed to be. Your bat is not." That was the end of it. Luckily, the Umpire we had happened was the ASA Head Ump for the entire state and he didn't put up with crap like that. He still doesn't. BTW, he loves DD since she protects him very well:D

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
I have seen that as well. Umpire didn't do anything about it in our case. I have also seen the batter intentionally hold the bat in a bunting position a few inches from the catchers eyes to try and block their view while a runner attempts to steal second or third. The batter wasn't even looking at the pitcher; she was looking back at the catcher to make sure she had the bat in front of her eyes. DD took one off the chest protector the first time it happened. When I confronted the coach about it he just said he would always trade a strike for a base.

Sep 17, 2009
Non-tucked-up catchers is one of my biggest pet peeves. I yell "tuck up" dozens of times per game -- you'd think the catchers would learn, or maybe I'm just OCD about it (they'd say the latter, that and not turning "under" the glove on low strikes). In my mind tucking up is as necessary to "stealing" strikes as is framing.

Never seen a batter do as described, but she would be my nemesis lol!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Saw something new in last weekend's tournament.

One particular batter from a team we played had a peculiar warm-up routine, which she did every swing of every at-bat. While in the batter's box, she would swing the bat back like a golf club and basically bring it straight behind her, level with the ground and as far as she could reach it while holding her feet/body in a normal batting stance. Then if the pitch wasn't delivered right away, she'd continue to swing the bat directly behind her back and forth like a pendulum. If the catcher wasn't at least 5' behind her, they were at risk of being hit by the bat during this "warm-up."

It certainly had the appearance of being an intentional way to push the catchers farther away from the plate. Our catchers couldn't even snug up on her after her routine because there was no telling when she was going to twitch back with the bat. If they were in actual proper position, they'd be taking a bat under the chin for sure (ok, it would probably hit their arm and glove first). Perhaps it is just something random that developed over time and is just now her normal routine, but this was a VERY well coached A level team -- I find it hard to believe this wasn't coached and done with a purpose (though it was only one specific batter from that team).

Is this a "thing"? We've played a few years of TB (12U and younger) and my catcher DD has never seen anything like this. Maybe this is just something that's just a new part of the game to get used as we play at higher levels. If so, how do you teach catchers to deal with it? If not, (and I hope it's not a normal thing, because it seemed to me to be both dangerous and unsportsmanlike), what recourse is there? Based on my amateur's review of the rules, nothing in here seems to violate any specific rule (we were playing under ASA rules). In retrospect, she was definitely swinging the bat through the area defined as the catcher's box... if that matters.

Have encountered batters who do this.
When catching i would step aside. Yes exposing umpire behind me. Let batter get set.
Get back to catching spot.
Some batters will remain standing in box ready for pitcher.

Other times batter would step out and do it again.
Umpire would then speak. Usually it was
"Lets go batter"

NEVER did i have an umpire tell me the catcher to stay in possible harms way!!!

For batters that take a back swing after pitch...
Seemingly intentionally pushing catcher back...or keeping catcher back.
I would step forward!!!!
As throwing normally back to pitcher.
Jams the batter on a back swing.
Trigger s umpire awareness.
( or just the catcher pointing out could do it)
Some batters want to take a full swing after the pitch. As a catcher i would ask umpire is that a strike she swung? Pointing out the late swing. Especially on a 2nd swing or runners on base,
This needs to be addressed,
*Usually the umpire would comment to batter about obstruction/interference.

The batter cannot impead outside of the box interfering with a catchers play.

At younger ages usually umpires are keen on recognizing an oops or intentional interference .

The pitcher and catcher control the ball and timing of delivery of pitches!!!

Have enjoyed working with wonderful pitchers who recognize how to disrupt batters routine/timing things.
Step off the rubber. Step back on type of thing.
Either of us would do something. Sometimes there might be a loose shin guard strap or something in my eye. ;)

* What the batter in OP story was doing may not have been intentional. Could just be stretching out there swing zone.
* The defense doesnt have to make allowances!!!!
Infact can react intelligently to it!!

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I have seen that as well. Umpire didn't do anything about it in our case. I have also seen the batter intentionally hold the bat in a bunting position a few inches from the catchers eyes to try and block their view while a runner attempts to steal second or third. The batter wasn't even looking at the pitcher; she was looking back at the catcher to make sure she had the bat in front of her eyes. DD took one off the chest protector the first time it happened. When I confronted the coach about it he just said he would always trade a strike for a base.

Holding the bat in a bunting position is one thing, but looking back at the catcher during a pitch is an easy tip off to any conscious umpire. Should be an unsportsmanlike / interference call every time.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Is this a "thing"?

Only in the Bush Leagues. I'd tell my catcher to hold her position...she's got gear on. Once the umpire sees such a ridiculous set up, that should be the end of it. Anything beyond what a normal batter does in the box can quickly be called interference if it affects the catcher's ability to make a play on a baserunner, and unsportsmanlike if there's an attempt to injure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee