Practice or Play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
he didn't make the high-level travel team she was hoping to make (we were late trying out - they took a look at her, but decided they preferred to stick with 10 players instead of going to 11.
Forget the "high level team." Something isn't right.

A truly "high level" coach of a 14U team should know that he needs 12 players. So, either (1) he is stupid or (2) he is trying to find a couple of more players to fill out his team, and he wants to keep you on the back burner "just in case".

In order for your child to become "good" at softball, she has to love the game. She isn't going to learn to love the game unless she is playing. Youur kid has to be on the field for at least 70% of the innings, you are wasting your time.

My DD was on a high level travel team at first, and it didn't work out. She went to a lower level team, pitched almost every game, and developed a real love for softball.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

A truly "high level" coach of a 14U team should know that he needs 12 players. So, either (1) he is stupid or (2) he is trying to find a couple of more players to fill out his team, and he wants to keep you on the back burner "just in case".

In order for your child to become "good" at softball, she has to love the game. She isn't going to learn to love the game unless she is playing. Youur kid has to be on the field for at least 70% of the innings, you are wasting your time.

My DD was on a high level travel team at first, and it didn't work out. She went to a lower level team, pitched almost every game, and developed a real love for softball.
high level team or low level scheme?! ;)

GREAT POINT SLUGGERS
Keep her on the backburner
'just in case'

Not a commitment to a player is it!!!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You have to play. You can guest on stronger teams if you want. The games are the fun part of the whole experience.

As your DD gets older you start to realize the end of playing comes VERY quickly.

Wasting one of those very limited number of seasons sitting on a bench waiting to be replaced by a better player if the coach finds one; no thanks.

Jul 2, 2013

Many have pointed out the problem with what you were told about this team and @sluggers hit it on the head. A coach who was trying out girls with 10 already on his roster isn't planning on staying at 10. He's holding spots for the unicorn player whose team folds or moves into the area.

I will be completely honest here. He doesn't think your DD is good enough. If he were honest, he would tell you "thanks, but no thanks" and move on. It sounds to me like he's hedging his bet and hoping you may hang around unofficially in case they need bodies. I'm not trying to be mean. My DD went through something like this. She tried out for a team that was "really" looking for a pitcher. The coach never bothered to call and let her know either way. It turned out that he already had 13 on his roster and at least 3 pitchers. He was just looking for the unicorn. And if he had found her, he would have replaced one of his existing players with her. He never did add one.

I would also like to point out that the team traveled all over the country and got their heads kicked in at very high level tournaments all year that year. :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
(2) he is trying to find a couple of more players to fill out his team, and he wants to keep you on the back burner "just in case".

That's probably it. I had a 10-player team in 12U once, and I wanted an 11th, but I wasn't willing to commit to just any 11th player, and no ideal candidate came along. I had 10 players that were very committed and never missed a tournament, and I also had ready access to pickup players if needed. Probably not the best idea to have only 10, but we got away with it that particular season. Thankfully, no injuries. If this coach says this player isn't good enough to make the roster, I'd also expect that this player isn't necessarily the #1 pickup player option either. She's probably the option when they just want a player who'll be content to sit the bench until an emergency or garbage time arrives. Unless she shows promise during these practices, but it's not good mentally or physically to practice with a team with no promise of playing. I wouldn't want my DD to experience ''you're not as good as us'' every time she stepped on the field with them.

Your DD will not get better if you just practice with a team. she has to get some 1 on 1 at home or with personal coach. then she has to work on getting stronger and faster. Once that is going start working on mental training. Last but not least she has to play in the game to put it all together. So I would suggest stay with the team so she can play and also practice with high level team when possible. Ask coaches what her weaknesses are and go home and work on that. study those weaknesses with video and research how to get better. IF SHE really wants to play for better teams it’s possible.

Nov 18, 2013
One of daughters teammates in travel ball was in a similar situation. She was told she wasn’t ready for this level of play yet, but she could join as a practice player and receive the same coaching as everyone else. She jumped at the chance because the coaches were the best n the area at developing players and she wanted to be the starting catcher in HS.

She worked hard, greatly improved and earned a starting spot on the travel team. She became the starting varsity catcher as an 8th grader and went on to play D1.

I’d suggest looking at the quality of coaching and let everything else fall into place. She could get more playing time now, but sit the bench in HS on a team that just throws girls on the field without developing them. Playing time is great, but you don’t get any better without good coaching to go with it. If this is really a high level team with a good coach they’ll find was to keep it fun and give her an opportunity when she’s ready.

As others have said, 10 isn’t enough. If he said she’ll be a practice player and he’s planning on keeping the roster at 10, run away. If he was honest about your DD’s abilities and saw potential in her, but was clear she wasn’t ready for playing time yet, that might be a great coach.

Oct 4, 2018
That's probably it. I had a 10-player team in 12U once, and I wanted an 11th, but I wasn't willing to commit to just any 11th player, and no ideal candidate came along. I had 10 players that were very committed and never missed a tournament, and I also had ready access to pickup players if needed. Probably not the best idea to have only 10, but we got away with it that particular season. Thankfully, no injuries. If this coach says this player isn't good enough to make the roster, I'd also expect that this player isn't necessarily the #1 pickup player option either. She's probably the option when they just want a player who'll be content to sit the bench until an emergency or garbage time arrives. Unless she shows promise during these practices, but it's not good mentally or physically to practice with a team with no promise of playing. I wouldn't want my DD to experience ''you're not as good as us'' every time she stepped on the field with them.

We did that one year too. Just 10 players (10U), who all loved to play and made every tournament. It was a fun year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812