Practice or Play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2017
My 14u daughter is facing a dilemma. She didn't make the high-level travel team she was hoping to make (we were late trying out - they took a look at her, but decided they preferred to stick with 10 players instead of going to 11. She has a spot available on another team, albeit considerably weaker with inexperienced travel ball players.

The high-level team said she could practice with them and potentially be used as a sub. Here's the question -is she better off just practicing with the higher level team as she tries to get ready for high school ball next spring, or should she play with the weaker/inexperienced team and get some game action in?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My kid faced a similar question several years ago. We played with the "weaker" team, but picked up with better ones when able. Eventually, DD played her way onto a pretty good team that she's been with ever since. Some may disagree, but I lean strongly towards playing rather than just practicing and hoping for scraps. Practice and perhaps pick up with the higher level team when able, but get the playing time. The team may get beat, but at-bats and chances in the field are the same regardless of who else is in the dugout.

Question: What kind of "high level" 14U team is good to go with just 10 players total on the roster?

Aug 25, 2019
Are you suppose to pay the full fee just to practice?......And I agree with Strike2, I've never known any kid who would be happy to only practice, people practice to play the game.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I agree 10 is not enough. However, until the coach figures that out, which may take 8-10 months, I would suggest taking the advice of the other posters. Go practice and play with the other team and pick up with better teams on your off weekends. Just practicing and not playing sucks. Let your DD make some new friends and have some fun. Besides, for all you know, the lesser team's coach may be a better choice for her in terms of development.

Jun 26, 2020
Depends on how and how often they practice. Also nothing wrong with taking a season off

May 6, 2015
my question is how does a coach have high level team and not realize that 10 is not enough especially at 14u (at 10u I would support it, but not as they get older). he is an injury and and A cousin joey's wedding away from not having enough to play. do they bring a guest or two to every tournament just to ride pine (cant believe once they get known for this they could find guest players)?

a big question is could you play for weaker team and practice and guest for better team when weaker team is inactive, this would be best of both worlds?

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
The other factors to consider are : What is the cost to practice only?, With covid what are the odds something could get shut down thus making the practice only team worth more than it normally would be.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm 10.
Thats 9 starters. And a rotating player.
Move on to a different plan.
Theres has a high probability of failure.
illness, injury, family emergency

Another perspective.
Why wouldnt the coach offer you
( or anyone ) the 11th spot on a roster?
With the comment.
'You will get to practice and attend games.
Maybe we'll squeeze her in when we're winning big time.'

Only reason to have the 10 is possibly the covid guideline thing...oh wait...11 at practice wouldnt work either...

My perspective HARD PASS!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802