Practice Balls For Association Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Hey All,

Our association needs to replenish our stock of 12" softballs, any suggestions on decent quality but reasonably priced balls to buy? We use the Dudley SB12s for games and have quite a few leftovers but not enough and those are a little on the spendy side to buy new just for practice use.

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2019
It's probably a little late, but you could try contacting a local college. When they replenish they're balls, they trashcan a LOT of very good balls for younger levels, especially if only for practice. It usually helps to know someone, though.

Mar 20, 2019
Do you have a local Dicks? They will sponsor local leagues and one of their donations tonus at least, has always been a bunch of those green buckets with 18 balls in them. The balls aren't good for games but work fine for pratices.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

May 20, 2015
Do you have a local Dicks? They will sponsor local leagues and one of their donations tonus at least, has always been a bunch of those green buckets with 18 balls in them. The balls aren't good for games but work fine for pratices.

depends on the level.......my varsity AD always bought us a bucket each for MS & HS each year......my middle school team had half of them egg shaped in a week or two of BP lol

diamnond flyer used to be a decent price for a decent ball......they were bought out by someone though? someone will know who lol

i've found that for even practice balls buying decent helps a lot.....go leather over synthetic, more initial cost but last longer.....and the low end balls just lose shape or turn to rocks or get slick too quickly imho

Mar 20, 2019
depends on the level.......my varsity AD always bought us a bucket each for MS & HS each year......my middle school team had half of them egg shaped in a week or two of BP lol

diamnond flyer used to be a decent price for a decent ball......they were bought out by someone though? someone will know who lol

i've found that for even practice balls buying decent helps a lot.....go leather over synthetic, more initial cost but last longer.....and the low end balls just lose shape or turn to rocks or get slick too quickly imho
Yeah they're not the best balls but you can beat the price. Lol, we get a season out of them for practice at 12U and below rec. I wouldn't recommend them for working with pitchers thought, the seams a pretty flat.

Aug 2, 2019
Go to mens softball fields and scour outside the fences...they never like to chase them...haha ;)
The rec league DD used to play in had slow pitch tourneys occasionally. After those tournaments they would pick up all the balls so they could mow the grass beyond the fences and fill huge trash bags with balls and set them by the entrance to the fields on league night for anyone to grab. I had my hands full of DDs crap so I only was able to grab about a half dozen. I still have a few for hitting practice, but no seams, so no good for pitching. Still, i should have just grabbed one of the trash bags and I'd have beaters for life.

Don’t waste your money on a good price if you end up buying new balls. a cheap ball will not make it through a season you get what you pay for. A $5 ball can be oblong shaped after 2nd batting practice with a descent hitter. $8 ball probably last the season.

Aug 2, 2019
We have a Play it Again Sports here in town that has huge tubs full of used balls. The quality is quite varied, but you could pick through and get a decent lot for practice. They sell used 11" balls by the bushel basket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802