Power of the Change up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
DD put in a ton of time this winter working on a few different ways to perfect her change up. It was her best pitch last fall and she used it with her rise to keep batters off balance. Here is a clip of her first inning pitched this summer. She threw a change up 6 times in a row to the first 2 batters. Used it again with the 3rd and 4th batter. It's hard for these higher level hitters to adjust to the speed difference. I remember when DD was 13 we would work on the change and it wasn't coming easy to her, she would get frustrated and upset. We would quit for a week or two then get back at it. I'm glad she didn't give up and still works on the pitch a ton. If you have a younger pitcher don't give up on a change up!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018
Very nice!!! My daughter has been working on one as well... learned it from Coach James. Have been working on it for about 3 months; she’s been struggling with consistency with it and gets flustered... sometimes it’s perfect, most of the time it was everywhere and at times struggled to get the speed off...but it all came together yesterday at the perfect time. She had her pitcher evaluation for middle school tryouts yesterday, and out of around 10 that she threw, only one was off.. was beautiful. She was the starter last year as a 7th grader, and all she had was a fastball, and I kept telling her that once she learns this and can throw it for a strike, she’s gonna be hard to handle. She’s worked her butt off for it... bout to take a five week break, but wish we were still going because they looked so good🤣🤣🤣

Apr 28, 2014
Very nice!!! My daughter has been working on one as well... learned it from Coach James. Have been working on it for about 3 months; she’s been struggling with consistency with it and gets flustered... sometimes it’s perfect, most of the time it was everywhere and at times struggled to get the speed off...but it all came together yesterday at the perfect time. She had her pitcher evaluation for middle school tryouts yesterday, and out of around 10 that she threw, only one was off.. was beautiful. She was the starter last year as a 7th grader, and all she had was a fastball, and I kept telling her that once she learns this and can throw it for a strike, she’s gonna be hard to handle. She’s worked her butt off for it... bout to take a five week break, but wish we were still going because they looked so good🤣🤣🤣

That's great to hear!
She will pick right back up once she starts.
I swear 90% of a change up is Mentally believing that you can do it.
That and overriding your urge to slow your body down.
I was told by a very good coach that there's nothing better than the ability to change speed and move the ball up and down in the zone.

Jul 3, 2018
That's great to hear!
She will pick right back up once she starts.
I swear 90% of a change up is Mentally believing that you can do it.
That and overriding your urge to slow your body down.
I was told by a very good coach that there's nothing better than the ability to change speed and move the ball up and down in the zone.

Absolutely right about the mental aspect!!! While practicing it I told her I gotta hear fastball and see fastball until the ball is thrown. Which means, I gotta hear that fast as hell drag like she does on the fastball. Like Coach James told her, faster the arm and drive the better. Now..just waiting on the results of the tryouts to be posted. There were a few very good incoming 7th grade pitchers—fingers crossed.

Nov 4, 2015
Great video of her pitching. Love seeing the change-up thrown. On a side note, when do the girls ever learn to read the ball off the bat?? The first baseman over ran a cue shot off the end of the bat. I see girls do this ALL the time. They don't play for the kick towards the foul line on bloopers into the outfield nor pick up on these in the infield. I've explained it time and time again. Off my rant. Thanks for the video.

Aug 21, 2008
The change up makes the average pitcher good, and the good pitcher GREAT.

Sadly many don't realize this until very late in careers because so much focus is on "speed". It's not the sexy riseball sound that pops the glove. But, few feelings are better than throwing an excellent change where the entire crowd makes a collective sound of "oooooooooh".

Apr 28, 2014

Sadly many don't realize this until very late in careers because so much focus is on "speed". It's not the sexy riseball sound that pops the glove. But, few feelings are better than throwing an excellent change where the entire crowd makes a collective sound of "oooooooooh".
Thanks Bill. You've always said a good change is a game changer!

Mar 8, 2016

Bill you are so right. Two years ago I got to watch a mid major pitcher throwing 58 mph fastballs shut down a P5 school with an excellent change up. She was really on that night. She was throwing a change in the dirt and one for a strike. She kept the hitters off balance on night. Threw a complete game 2 hit shutout.
DD hit an opposite Homerun in her first ab last weekend then lined a double off the fence. In her third ab she hit a change up for a single. Which ab did she want to talk about after the game? The single on the change up. Why? Because she can probably count on one hand the number of hits she has on change ups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee