Potential for injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
IMHO

Mechanics + adrenaline = game speed

Mechanics + adrenaline*2 = got to get this out (aka gets really dialed up)

There are throwers and there are pitchers. Trying to throw as hard as you can all the time greatly increases the probability of injury.

Last edited:
......ummmm....
The pitcher was at a lesson with her instructor.....
How many commentating reviews on mechanics are neccessary.
This is about a blurty blurt blurter.
Dont blow this out of proportion.

Just sayin'
A video and the pluthera of "do it this way".... is a can of worms.

Poster's dd is not in a problematic situation.
As described by poster comments.. Really sounds like the instructor is detailed, paying attention, and on top of it!!
It could open a can of worms or it could be the information they need a new pitching coach. Maybe even assure op that her DD is in good hands and has nothing to worry about. I think most information you get on DFP is honest opinions from people and coaches that are really trying to help.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Sprinters get fast by sprinting, lifting weights, technique work and rest/diet. Pitchers are no different. When you pitch, throw hard with good form.

Just dont pitch every day, 3 to 4 days a week during seasons. Definitely take time off during the year to not throw or pitch anything.

Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
Thanks all for the discussion. I'm comfortable that DDs mechanics are sound, and recently sought out a "second opinion" from another instructor to confirm as much. She also works with her organization's house instructor. Obviously there is a lot to improve on, but I believe generally DD is on the right track.

Not sure if I am totally explaining it clearly, but the vast majority of the time she throws hard in lessons. This is not spoken of; she is pitching so she throws hard. On occasion, PC will say something like, "without worrying about speed, focus on ___ aspect of your mechanics". About once a month he pulls out the gun and that's when the adrenaline kicks in and I can see her literally willing the gun to read a particular number. Most of these lessons end in whooping and fist bumps, including the one the parent who made the comment observed. On advisement from PC, she does not throw the day after these sessions.

I am going to ask her to do more stretching prior to pitching, but also not shy away from her occasionally pitching to reach her top speed.

Apr 17, 2019
I am going to ask her to do more stretching prior to pitching, but also not shy away from her occasionally pitching to reach her top speed.

Just a word of caution about that - and you probably know, but make sure SHE knows to make sure her body is warm prior to stretching. It's so easy to get in a habit of skipping or half-a$$ing the warmup. It's something I knew as a teen, but still got myself hurt stretching too much cold. (I was a martial artist, loved striving for flexibility). I stress it now. 5-10 mins of light to medium cardio; then the stretch, then the workout.

Feb 15, 2017
Lots of good advice here - I would propose than 80%+ of players warmup/stretch improperly. Most will stretch and pull and twist on cold muscles. Google dynamic warmup and you will find tons of content on YouTube etc. I found once you introduce a girl to a dynamic warmup they quit the old school 80s routine and are much more likely to warmup (and obviously get it right).

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Thanks all for the discussion. I'm comfortable that DDs mechanics are sound, and recently sought out a "second opinion" from another instructor to confirm as much. She also works with her organization's house instructor. Obviously there is a lot to improve on, but I believe generally DD is on the right track.

Not sure if I am totally explaining it clearly, but the vast majority of the time she throws hard in lessons. This is not spoken of; she is pitching so she throws hard. On occasion, PC will say something like, "without worrying about speed, focus on ___ aspect of your mechanics". About once a month he pulls out the gun and that's when the adrenaline kicks in and I can see her literally willing the gun to read a particular number. Most of these lessons end in whooping and fist bumps, including the one the parent who made the comment observed. On advisement from PC, she does not throw the day after these sessions.

One of the leading injuries for both pitchers and catchers are hip flexors. My team is all dynamic stretching and we always stretch the hip flexors extremely well.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Nice to have confidence in what she is doing!
Seems the instructor is paying attention and has a plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802