Posture vs Balance - PCRW

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
When I work with a hitter, I get them balanced.

I have them maintain balance through out the swing.

Telling a batter to keep there posture?
Or telling a batter to keep there balance. Athletic stance

I think you have to do both.

Straightleg

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
If you are a real glutton for punishment, imagine reading stuff far more confusing than my prose.

Nyman from setpro is the creator of the PCRW blueprint/specification. He calls what Englishbey teaches in a similar vein PCR.

Here is the simplest post on balance by Nyman in this thread. His posts in this thread are under the name "O'Really":

Bat Speed -- Baseball Hitting Forum

Here is post#2 in thread which is a "clarification" of #1:

Nyman:

Zig said:

“A loss of balance occurs when an individual no longer controls controls where they are in time or space with relationship to the ground or an object on which they are standing.”

Which is not the definition of the loss of balance as defined in bio-mechanic, motor learning/control literature/research.

Loss of balance in traditionally defined/accepted to occur when the body’s center of gravity projected on the ground (or whatever surface forms the base of support) moves outside of the body’s base of support “parameter”. Which then requires understanding what constitutes both projection of the body’s center of gravity as well as base of support “parameter”.

As discussed previously dynamic balance is controlled instability (controlled loss of balance).

Using these definitions, as soon as McGuire’s center of gravity (wherever that is) moves outside of his base of support parameter (wherever that is) McGuire loses his balance.

By this definition (and not by Zig’s definition as stated above) hitters CAN lose their balance.

My contention is that according to Zig’s definition,

“no longer controls where they are in time and space”

very few if any major League hitter ever lose their balance.

Because they rarely lose control.

Control is what allows them to move from one position of balance to the next (guides them through their period of loss of balance).

During this time they are what some like to call a state of dynamic balace.

But real issue (understanding what constitutes a good swing and how to teach it) has little to do with the "balance" that so many get caught up with.

The real issue is that players may learn less effective/optimal postural positions and limb movements as part of the swing sequence. They plain and simply learn to swing a bat “poorly”.

But they for the most part in total control during these postural positions of taking the poor swing. Especially Major League players such as McGuire.

And if anything, balance is being used more as “cue” or “escape goat”.

It’s used as a cue in an attempt to deal with the real issue, that being and attempt to deal with inefficient/ineffective postural positions-sequences-limb movements that make up the swing itself.

And used as a “escape goat” by those who attempt to explain something that they do not really understand, that being what constitutes (biomechanics, physiology, etc) a “good” swing . And more importantly how to teach it.

I have also tried to illustrate with the study of static and dynamic balance for various skill level golfers, that the whole issue of balance is in general, misunderstood, over emphasized and last but not least, over “sold”.

Hope this helps to clarify my pervious comments.

==============

Clear as mud. One thing I think of related to balance is how much the bat and arms weight when you swing them.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Balance vs Posture

Batter A: Batter with posture tilt , tilted any way you feel is perfect.
Weight of body on there heals.
They make the postured tilted swing on there heals and flat footed.

Batter B: Balanced first, weight on the balls of the feet. To get this batter balanced, we teach them a certain posture that gets them there.
So this batter swings with posture and balance.

Which batter do you want in your lineup.:)

Straightleg

R

RayR

Hitting for the most part is done on one leg at a time. Consider the stride and the hitter is bracing his/her weight on the back leg. Once the front foot hits, weight is transferred to the front leg - at least it should be. This is dynamic balance.

Either way though, weight should be on the inside of the foot - not on the heel and not on the ball of the foot. This is the best way for the single leg to brace and stabilize against the weight shifts.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hitting for the most part is done on one leg at a time. Consider the stride and the hitter is bracing his/her weight on the back leg. Once the front foot hits, weight is transferred to the front leg - at least it should be. This is dynamic balance.

Either way though, weight should be on the inside of the foot - not on the heel and not on the ball of the foot. This is the best way for the single leg to brace and stabilize against the weight shifts.

I agree.

We start on the inside of the feet, but weight towards the ball of the feet and balanced.

Straightleg

May 12, 2008
Problem is, too many people take this "balance" cue and interpret it as you should never be falling over the plate after a swing.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Problem is, too many people take this "balance" cue and interpret it as you should never be falling over the plate after a swing.

I mainly help girls ages 10- 15 and once in a while they fall forward after contact.
Why is that?

I was thinking they just got alittle to far out on the balls of the feet.

The ball has left so, I really did not give it much thought.

Straightleg

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Straightleg: Here is one that Mike showed me when he was back from China, with Howard. . Take a softball and cut 1/3 of the outside of the ball off. Now have the batter think they must always hit the inner 2/3 of the ball. I think you wll find now the batter will not fall away as they swing, since they are now trying to hit the inner 2/3. It seems they have more balance. I have tried this will my dd and it works.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28