Posture vs Balance - PCRW

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SB

So what you are saying is cut 1/3 off the ball, put it on the tee with the flat side away from the hitter and have them hit the ball?

Straightleg

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Yes. It's a visual, but it works. Mike did this in Howards garage, he makes all his girls carry 2/3 of a softball with them to remind them only hit the inner 2/3. So, you know me, I had to try it on a T, to see if I could go a step further. If you hit the outer 1/3 it flys off the T like a wounded duck. Yet she hits a line drive with only 2/3 of a ball. It was an experiment that I just had to try to see if I could use it a a learning tool with younger kids.

May 12, 2008
Yes. It's a visual, but it works. Mike did this in Howards garage, he makes all his girls carry 2/3 of a softball with them to remind them only hit the inner 2/3. So, you know me, I had to try it on a T, to see if I could go a step further. If you hit the outer 1/3 it flys off the T like a wounded duck. Yet she hits a line drive with only 2/3 of a ball. It was an experiment that I just had to try to see if I could use it a a learning tool with younger kids.

As a drill to encourage keeping the hinge angle (the approximately 90 degree angle between the bottom hand forearm and the bat) as long as possible it sounds good to me. Just watch the kids to make sure they don't disconnect like this to hit the inside of the ball. Photo 18 of 31, Analysis

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Interesting post Mark. Never seen that taught in this area. I don't think we could use our ball on a rope drills and swing like this and hit the ball. What do you think straightleg?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
notice how good mechanics, including grip, setup, arm action,sequence allow torquing the bat handle early without unhinging the lead wrist.

this is an absolute KEY to the MLB pattern:

http://www.batspeed.com/media/PLT_THT_Mechanics.wmv

Understanding what happens with the lead arm hinge throughout the MLB swing is a good thing to review.

The problem with a "holding hinge" cue/emphasis is you can end of preventing the early torque necessary to set up and control an MLB pattern where you need a running start and enough upper bopdy resistance to rotation to control how the body stretches and fires.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SB
I think if you tryied the ball and rope like that - ouch.

The way are setup is - ( are - I mean howard' s) the arms are never that close to the body.

If we get disconnected, it is usally alittle bit one way or another, not like that cement trowel thingamajig.

Straightleg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom