POSTURE – definition – examples – drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
not extracting the core. It’s just not active. You don’t bend down. The hips will flex more, the legs will bend more. I said all this already. You don’t bend down for a low pitch it’s adds slack. The way Mike describes it ‘down to’ is how I teach it. Stay tall, let the legs guide you. Same as Ted W describes it. BH is staying tall here. No posture change.

View attachment 18349
Address the side by sides I posted... posting random videos with no measuring stick is not a productive way to have this discussion... while addressing the side by sides please explain the extra bend at the waist on low pitches vs high. Trout stands taller on the higher pitches, so does Romero.. the angle at their waist is more obtuse on the higher pitches.

Please explain how a hitter can rely on their core so much to pull the back leg through the swing... yet deactivate it when the hitter tilts at the waist. The hitter does bend at the waist.. the videos show this happening.

BTW Harper is not the poster boy I would use when displaying a hitter who maintains posture.. he comes out of it quite often when swinging a bat.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
IMO Trout's posture/plane is not "set".. it's the result of where the pitch is located. Some hitters like the low pitch, some high.. hot zones. Every hitter has them.. but it's not the result of a preset posture... good luck making it to the majors with a preset posture, let alone being a successful hitter like Trout.

My apologies if I am misunderstanding you

Are you like WWins?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Address the side by sides I posted... posting random videos with no measuring stick is not a productive way to have this discussion... while addressing the side by sides please explain the extra bend at the waist on low pitches vs high. Trout stands taller on the higher pitches, so does Romero.. the angle at their waist is more obtuse on the higher pitches.

Please explain how a hitter can rely on their core so much to pull the back leg through the swing... yet deactivate it when the hitter tilts at the waist. The hitter does bend at the waist.. the videos show this happening.

BTW Harper is not the poster boy I would use when displaying a hitter who maintains posture.. he comes out of it quite often when swinging a bat.

Just showing how guys adjust to low pitches. They get in their legs and maintain the posture they have while staying tall. They don’t bend down more.

All the side by sides were after forward bend and into hip extension when side bend actually matters. TO maintain the angle that the original hip hinge set in the first place. All this is done by you guessed it.... Maintaining the original hinge set at foot down. It goes forward bend , hip extension, side bend.. It is automatic if you don’t forward bend more to go down and get it.

So I guess what you’re seeing is hip extension and then side bend and thinking that those transitions are posture changes? When the actual spine angle at foot down has remained constant throughout? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Just showing how guys adjust to low pitches. They get in their legs and maintain the posture they have while staying tall. They don’t bend down more.

All the side by sides were after forward bend and into hip extension when side bend actually matters. TO maintain the angle that the original hip hinge set in the first place. All this is done by you guessed it.... Maintaining the original hinge set at foot down. It goes forward bend , hip extension, side bend.. It is automatic if you don’t forward bend more to go down and get it.

So I guess what you’re seeing is hip extension and then side bend and thinking that those transitions are posture changes? When the actual spine angle at foot down has remained constant throughout? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Romero, numbers still showing to the pitcher, different posture established at foot down to match plane of pitch. Lateral tilt has not come into play yet. Posture is crated at heel plant, hitters goal is to create posture that allows the barrel to pass through the plane of the pitch as long as possible... also create space for hands. The Romero stills show this, so does Trouts. This supports what I’ve been saying. If Trout crated the same posture on the high pitch As the low.. he would have to come out of his posture to get to the higher pitch... major swing flaw. That takes way too much time, ruins fluidity of the swing, damages bat path etc. Trout stays on top of(over) the ball by creating the correct posture from get go.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Romero, numbers still showing to the pitcher, different posture established at foot down to match plane of pitch. Lateral tilt has not come into play yet. Posture is crated at heel plant, hitters goal is to create posture that allows the barrel to pass through the plane of the pitch as long as possible... also create space for hands. The Romero stills show this, so does Trouts. This supports what I’ve been saying. If Trout crated the same posture on the high pitch As the low.. he would have to come out of his posture to get to the higher pitch... major swing flaw. That takes way too much time, ruins fluidity of the swing, damages bat path etc. Trout stays on top of(over) the ball by creating the correct posture from get go.

looks to me like she has a lot more hip flexion and knee flex in the Mich. uni. to go down and get the low pitch. that could definitely cause the posture ‘change’ you see.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What are we talking about here.. the action of getting to FYB.. or what occurs before one starts that process. What I mean by process is, the gather/negative move.. the forward/positive move into toe touch/heel plant. Now that have defined the specifics, can you please explain these pre pitch movements that occur before the negative move.

I can assure you that by standing tall and doing absolutely nothing prior to the negative move I can get to a FYB position. Batters stance is a style.. and what I mean by batters stance is what occurs before the FYB sequence initiates. Batters stance is a no teach unless they are doing something funky, what matters is getting to FYB in time. JMHO

Julray, I am referring to the pre-pitch actions that occurs.. This from a few years ago where you attempt to take the b-button and a$$ to the pitcher at the same time.. Of course it can't happen that way but its a feel.. The action is a soft internal oblique contraction that lifts pulls up his front leg... The contraction is then released which allows for reactive stretch while falling fyb.

6GMEkfw.gif

May 12, 2016
Julray, I am referring to the pre-pitch actions that occurs.. This from a few years ago where you attempt to take the b-button and a$$ to the pitcher at the same time.. Of course it can't happen that way but its a feel.. The action is a soft internal oblique contraction that lifts pulls up his front leg... The contraction is then released which allows for reactive stretch while falling fyb.

6GMEkfw.gif
That’s called the negative move and gather. I’m not going to pretend I know exactly what muscles(soft oblique contraction) are involved. Of course that’s important.. all part of the dance with the pitcher. Pre pitch was confusing me. It’s not like the batter starts that move before the pitcher starts the process of pitching the ball.. right? I mean if I was a pitcher I would just leave the batter hanging... that would be kind of comical 🙂

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
looks to me like she has a lot more hip flexion and knee flex in the Mich. uni. to go down and get the low pitch. that could definitely cause the posture ‘change’ you see.
Like I said before, don’t care what muscles are involved.. if you can’t see a greater angle at the waist(aka bending forward) in Michigan then you are being stubborn. The angle was created at heel plant or shortly after. It’s all part of her creating posture for that pitch location.

No what I see is somebody bending more at the waist... because that’s what they are doing. No need to guess here. And seriously W, what happens when there is hip flexion? Seriously man.. wtf?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
That’s called the negative move and gather. I’m not going to pretend I know exactly what muscles(soft oblique contraction) are involved. Of course that’s important.. all part of the dance with the pitcher. Pre pitch was confusing me. It’s not like the batter starts that move before the pitcher starts the process of pitching the ball.. right? I mean if I was a pitcher I would just leave the batter hanging... that would be kind of comical 🙂

Correct. and these actions are what makes the movement balanced and the swing reactive.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee