POSTURE – definition – examples – drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

first you said they are changing posture after foot down. hip hinge doesn’t changed at all. I showed you that. Not on good swings. The amount of other things may change at start. But the fact of the matter is posture doesn’t change. Why? Bc it’s a function of the swing. Like I said before. And TDS was trying to tell you. They establish their posture (Hip hinge) and don’t adjust it.

hip hinge loads the glutes and separates the upper and lower but most importantly engages the pelvis so one won’t shift laterally to the front leg too early. If one changes their posture ‘down’ after foot down that’s the equivalent of buckling on a curve or off speed. If you don’t establish it before foot down you will shift early. it’s not style or whatever. It matters a lot.

yes. One can change their posture in their set up. But not after stride.

May 12, 2016
first you said they are changing posture after foot down. hip hinge doesn’t changed at all. I showed you that. Not on good swings. The amount of other things may change at start. But the fact of the matter is posture doesn’t change. Why? Bc it’s a function of the swing. Like I said before. And TDS was trying to tell you. They establish their posture (Hip hinge) and don’t adjust it.

hip hinge loads the glutes and separates the upper and lower but most importantly engages the pelvis so one won’t shift laterally to the front leg too early. If one changes their posture ‘down’ after foot down that’s the equivalent of buckling on a curve or off speed. If you don’t establish it before foot down you will shift early. it’s not style or whatever. It matters a lot.

yes. One can change their posture in their set up. But not after stride.
That’s what you have in your head.. but you are wrong. A hitter should never change posture after it is fully established... which is at heel plant. Showed you this step by step in the Romero swings. If you establish prior to reading the pitch, then spine runs the risk of not being aligned which will affect your barrel path.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
That’s what you have in your head.. but you are wrong. A hitter should never change posture after it is fully established... which is at heel plant. Showed you this step by step in the Romero swings. If you establish prior to reading the pitch, then spine runs the risk of not being aligned which will affect your barrel path.

Ok. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Np, but thanks should go to Romero for showing us something very important

Sarcasm. you’ve changed teams 3-4 times. Grown tired of the obstacles. The last one got me good. ‘Don’t change spine angle once the foot is down’? We started off by you saying ‘the spine angle changes most definitely to go down and get the low pitch bending down’. thats a spine angle change right?

or how about when you said ‘posture changes during the swing’. When it’s was just hip extension and side bend you were seeing.

cant debate what won’t make a stand.

it’s all good. Thanks for the convo.

May 12, 2016
Sarcasm. you’ve changed teams 3-4 times. Grown tired of the obstacles. The last one got me good. ‘Don’t change spine angle once the foot is down’? We started off by you saying ‘the spine angle changes most definitely to go down and get the low pitch bending down’. thats a spine angle change right?

Spine angle changes as per pitch location

or how about when you said ‘posture changes during the swing’. When it’s was just hip extension and side bend you were seeing.

cant debate what won’t make a stand.

it’s all good. Thanks for the convo.
Teams? I'm not on a team.. are you? You can't debate because I've laid out everything for you and you can't argue facts. So instead you are intentionally misrepresenting what I am saying.. spine angle changes on a pitch by pitch scenario and you know that's precisely what I have been saying all along.. That's the spine angle change we are talking about here. Just like I said, you maintain posture by not changing spine angle once the front foot is down.. but the spine angle varies pitch by pitch. Lower pitch, the hitter bends at the waist more(prior to and into heel plant).. see Romero thread below

I laid it out with details and pics to explain the process in the post below..

Low Pitch
Height of gather
Capture.PNG

Moving out, reading the pitch

Capture1.PNG

Just prior to toe touch

Capture2.PNG

Heel Plant.. posture established.

Capture4.PNG

High Pitch ... Same process
Gather
Capture10.PNG

Capture11.PNG

Prior to toe touch
Capture12.PNG

Heel plant, posture established
Capture14.PNG

Romero is doing exactly what I said she is doing.. establishing posture as per pitch location. She reads the pitch and aligns the body to be in the most efficient position to do damage. Posture is not a cookie cutter process/predetermined

Please feel free to quote this post anytime you want to refer to what my understanding of posture is and how it's established in a swing. Or anytime you say things like the hitter doesn't bend more at the waist(AKA decrease the angle of hip hinge) to get to a lower pitch

You mentioned in your first post of this thread that you are likely in the minority with your thoughts on posture.. there's a reason for that.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Spine angle changes as per pitch location

Teams? I'm not on a team.. are you? You can't debate because I've laid out everything for you and you can't argue facts. So instead you are intentionally misrepresenting what I am saying.. spine angle changes on a pitch by pitch scenario and you know that's precisely what I have been saying all along.. That's the spine angle change we are talking about here. Just like I said, you maintain posture by not changing spine angle once the front foot is down.. but the spine angle varies pitch by pitch. Lower pitch, the hitter bends at the waist more(prior to and into heel plant).. see Romero thread below

I laid it out with details and pics to explain the process in the post below..

Low Pitch
Height of gather
Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Just prior to toe touch

Capture2.PNG

Heel Plant.. posture established.

Capture4.PNG

High Pitch ... Same process
Gather
Capture10.PNG

Capture11.PNG

Prior to toe touch
Capture12.PNG

Heel plant, posture established
Capture14.PNG

Romero is doing exactly what I said she is doing.. establishing posture as per pitch location. She reads the pitch and aligns the body to be in the most efficient position to do damage. Posture is not a cookie cutter process/predetermined

Please feel free to quote this post anytime you want to refer to what my understanding of posture is and how it's established in a swing. Or anytime you say things like the hitter doesn't bend more at the waist(AKA decrease the angle of hip hinge) to get to a lower pitch

You mentioned in your first post of this thread that you are likely in the minority with your thoughts on posture.. there's a reason for that.

So let’s recap.

first you wanted lateral tilt. Then said oops you got your terms incorrect. It’s forward bend you want. Even though in those posts you referred to shoulder ‘tilt’ as a good functional thing.

Then you said guys bend at the waist to adjust. I said the functional command is the hips and butt legs hands. Not the torso. Then you said you don’t think these guys stay tall and chop. I said they do. Mike T showed you he’s ‘down to’ the low pitch.

Then you got ‘Mud’ in the water and grouped Sierra and Mike together saying I said they have the same posture(hip hinge). When I was saying that EACH player has their own posture ‘HH’ that they use. Sierra and Mikes are different but their own. They don’t change their HH. The height at which they put the foot may change.

then I said players stay tall and chop down on a low pitch but the hips flex more to accommodate that. You said that wasn’t true. and asked why isn’t the core more involved. Bc it’s too busy rotating and staying tall.

and so we move onto the posture definition which we both said was hip hinge. Then I said the hip hinge(posture) doesn’t change. And then you took it to Sierra changes in two DIFFERENT swings. Think she’s just taller In one more than the other. Little more knee flex. And hip flex. Same hinge.

When I said that I meant on the move out. IOW it’s established so the pelvis can be loaded. It can flex more on a low or extend on a high pitch at foot down. That’s posture to me, the hips flexing.

So I don’t refute but the few things we talked about. Functional stuff mainly just bc someone reading this will see ‘bend at the waist’ more to get to a low pitch or ‘tilt’ to get behind the ball.. then will say Julray is full of crap. so now we’re here and we are saying the same thing I did in my first few posts. Nothing new here.

now if you look at my first post in this thread You will realize what I mean by posture and how one can adjust the spine angle after foot down. Post 53 says it all. I am saying the same thing you are. Just with different terminology that I muddied up as well.

I don’t know if you Know the functions, but I think we are at least in agreement on what’s on video. at least I think so.

May 12, 2016
I was terming forward bend lateral tilt. That’s on me, my fault, my mistake. If you can allow yourself to get past my mistaken terminology you will understand that I’ve been referring to the same thing all along... not just this thread, for quite some time. I’m not going back to rehash how many times you contradicted yourself this thread. But I will point out one thing you have been saying all along the batter stands tall and chops down... at least now your are confirming the batter establishes posture according to pitch location, which is what I have been saying all along. Also I don’t wtf you are talking about regarding adjusting posture after heel plant. Go back and read my first post of this thread, that’s what I have been saying all along... put words in my mouth, twist my view all you want. I find your tactics here humorous and at same time flattering.

BTW I posted two DIFFERENT swings from Romero because they are different pitch locations leading to Romero creating posture (yes that includes bending at the waist) relative to that pitch location. This has been my point the whole damn thread.. clearly at heel plant Romero's waist bending more on the lower pitch vs the higher. I don't give a damn at this point which muscles bend the waist.. you first need to admit that it actually bends

Low
Capture4.PNG

High
Capture14.PNG

Bustos
Low
Capture2.PNG

High
Capture.PNG

Trout
Low
Capture.PNG

Higher
Capture5.PNG

All hitters start with a different stance, different negative move, different positive move, but they all get to FYB with posture (the angle at the waist clearly changes) relative to pitch location.

Want me to draw in the pretty lines which show the angle at the waist. Seriously, I'm one that people are going to think is full of crap LOL

Anyway I've grown tired of this debate. Facts are staring you in the face, but it doesn't align with your beliefs.. that's a struggle you need to deal with.. not me

Attachments

• Capture10.PNG
    Capture10.PNG
    53.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    53.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member