POSTURE – definition – examples – drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Correct. and these actions are what makes the movement balanced and the swing reactive.
Yes a lot can go wrong before a hitter establishes FYB. I get that. IMO what happens prior to heel plant is mostly for timing and rhythm. If the hitter can get to a good FYB position on time then all good with me. I mean that’s the ultimate goal at toe touch and heel plant .... proper FYB Position.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Like I said before, don’t care what muscles are involved.. if you can’t see a greater angle at the waist(aka bending forward) in Michigan then you are being stubborn. The angle was created at heel plant or shortly after. It’s all part of her creating posture for that pitch location.

No what I see is somebody bending more at the waist... because that’s what they are doing. No need to guess here. And seriously W, what happens when there is hip flexion? Seriously man.. wtf?

If you don’t care what muscles are involved than you might start thinking that something else is adjusting the swing right? I think it’s kinda important.

You can see waist bend. I see hip flexion and knee flex. Bc I know bending at the waist adds slack and creates adjustment issues.

hip flexion is ‘sitting’. Like ‘sitting’ on a change up. Or sitting in a chair. 🤷🏻‍♂️

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes a lot can go wrong before a hitter establishes FYB. I get that. IMO what happens prior to heel plant is mostly for timing. If the hitter can get to a good FYB position on time then all good with me. I mean that’s the ultimate goal at toe touch and heel plant .... proper FYB Position.

Correct !! If you get the up-front actions nailed you will not need to worry about shifting across the pelvis to the front leg or lunging on the off-speed..

ZfgRFqF.gif

May 12, 2016
If you don’t care what muscles are involved than you might start thinking that something else is adjusting the swing right? I think it’s kinda important.

You can see waist bend. I see hip flexion and knee flex. Bc I know bending at the waist adds slack and creates adjustment issues.

hip flexion is ‘sitting’. Like ‘sitting’ on a change up. Or sitting in a chair. 🤷🏻‍♂️
What happens at the waist when you sit in a chair? People have been bending at the waist forever. There’s no magic here, hence why no discussion is needed. This is a peculiar discussion. I’d compare it to me saying.. that player just hit a Homerun. You would reply with the the ball was hit off the sweet spot with optimal back spin while carried by the wind. Guess what. It’s still a HR. Guess what the hitter is still bending at the waist. When somebody sits in a chair, they Also bend at the waist. So like I said I don’t really care about what causes somebody to bend at the waist... call it hip flexion, there’s no magic here. The point is they are Creating posture to match pitch location.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What happens at the waist when you sit in a chair? People have been bending at the waist forever. There’s no magic here, hence why no discussion is needed. This is a peculiar discussion. I’d compare it to me saying.. that player just hit a Homerun. You would reply with the the ball was hit off the sweet spot with optimal back spin while carried by the wind. Guess what. It’s still a HR. Guess what the hitter is still bending at the waist. When somebody sits in a chair, they Also bend at the waist. So like I said I don’t really care about what causes somebody to bend at the waist... call it hip flexion, there’s no magic here. The point is they are Creating posture to match pitch location.

Ok. But that not classified as ‘posture’. Posture is hip hinge. So he doesn’t change his posture. He doesn’t bend down more. He flexes his hips and gets into his legs, extends his hips and side bends. His ‘posture doesn’t change, it’s maintained.

now if you are changing the definition of posture. I guess that could be confusing?

Wouldn’t posture be measured from his body and not space?

May 12, 2016
Ok. But that not classified as ‘posture’. Posture is hip hinge. So he doesn’t change his posture. He doesn’t bend down more. He flexes his hips and gets into his legs, extends his hips and side bends. His ‘posture doesn’t change, it’s maintained.

now if you are changing the definition of posture. I guess that could be confusing?

Wouldn’t posture be measured from his body and not space?

Of course posture is maintained.. it's established at heel plant and maintained through out the swing.

Hip hinge, bending at the waist etc etc.. you can inundate this thread with so many terms as you want, at the end of the day the hitter bends more or less at the waist depending on pitch location. Here I drew some lines, I don't need a protractor to highlight the hip hinge(bending at the waist is greater in one pic vs the other... Established at heel plant to match the plane of the pitch. I glad you mentioned posture is hip hinge.. because at foot down that's what we see here... hip hinge angle decrease/increase to match the plane of the pitch

Capture.PNG

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Of course posture is maintained.. it's established at heel plant and maintained through out the swing.

Hip hinge, bending at the waist etc etc.. you can inundate this thread with so many terms as you want, at the end of the day the hitter bends more or less at the waist depending on pitch location. Here I drew some lines, I don't need a protractor to highlight the hip hinge(bending at the waist is greater in one pic vs the other... Established at heel plant to match the plane of the pitch. I glad you mentioned posture is hip hinge.. because at foot down that's what we see here... hip hinge angle decrease/increase to match the plane of the pitch

View attachment 18365

if you want to think Sierra is bending at the waist as a function to go get that low pitch, ok. I know better.

Sierra was in the mich posture before foot down as well. Maybe she was anticipating a low pitch? Maybe she was looking for a high pitch in the other still. If you go back and look at the actions of the swing (not ‘stills’).Her posture was the same as she walked out in the Mich swing.

here I’ll post it for you. She stays the same throughout

here’s another same stuff. Think the other swing is on this one.

Here’s one more

I think Ted talked about changing his posture when facing high fast ball pitchers. Or it might have been Hank Aaron. I’ll see if I can find the video.

Do you have any other hitters that change ‘posture’. Sierra doesn’t seem to change posture like you said.

May 12, 2016
ahhhhh.. a lot of contradiction going on here. Whether Romero was anticipating or reading the pitch into foot plant(I think the later but I am not a mind reader).... at foot plant she was establishing a different posture. Thanks for confirming what I see. Now we agree that hitters establish different posture for different pitches.

I am not sure why you thought I meant a hitter gets to heel plant and establishes posture instantaneously. Of course they are reading the pitch into heel plant.. not just at heel plant. The posture they will utilize throughout the swing is finished at heel plant or shortly after. BTW here is the process involved in establishing posture at heel plant.. clearly you can see Romero has finished establishing posture at heel plant, and not before

Low Pitch
Height of gather
Capture.PNG
Moving out, reading the pitch
Capture1.PNG
Just prior to toe touch
Capture2.PNG
Heel Plant.. posture established.
Capture4.PNG

High Pitch ... Same process
Gather
Capture10.PNG

Moving out, reading the pitch
Capture11.PNG

Prior to toe touch
Capture12.PNG

Heel plant, posture established
Capture14.PNG

Romero is doing exactly what I said she is doing.. establishing posture as per pitch location. She reads the pitch and aligns the body to be in the most efficient position to do damage. Posture is not a cookie cutter process/predetermined

Attachments

• Capture10.PNG
    Capture10.PNG
    53.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture11.PNG
    Capture11.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This is showing when Trout reaches posture

- Mike Trout Swing Breakdown