Post-tournament recovery

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
So, after playing two days of hardcore softball, what's the best way to recover quickly? I iced my arm a bit because it was a little sore, and should I do any exercise tomorrow? Maybe some stretching?

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
An easy dynamic stretching routine on the rest days can be useful.

Good nutrition is a must...especially post game nutrition and on rest days have a good healthy breakfast and supper.

You heal when you sleep...so get a couple nights GOOD sleep. Go to bed earlier... if you need to get up earlier after a rest day. Plan a sleeping routine that allows you to wake up on your own...rather than scheduling something where you have to get up to get done....when your young some days you need more sleep.

Mar 25, 2011
I think I read Ubaldo Jimenez would run a mile for each inning pitched the day after he pitched. The running would strengthen his back and elongate his muscles, helping on the recovery path...at least that's what I think they were stating.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
The best way to cool down post training sessions or post games would be to perform a light dynamic warmup (not as intense as a pre game dynamic warmup). This will allow for proper blood flow and also limit the amount of blood pooling. It will also help improve flexibility, joint stability and core stability. Running long distance post game will impair flexibility because it's such a quad dominant exercise. Softball is a fast, explosive game and glute activation is important. Multi planar movements are key in softball. Also, soft tissue work with the foam roller is important.

A few stretches for position players would be elbow extension, sleeper stretch and hip flexor stretch. A few stretches for pitchers would be sleeper stretch, inferior capsule stretch/Lat (arm behind) hip flexor stretch and hip internal rotation stretch.

If anyone would like a copy of a pre and post game Dynamic Warm Up and Stretching Protocol feel free to email me at austin@abathletics.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28