Positioning of feet during the pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Yes, we do most pitching drills with the feet at 45-55 and parallel (to one another).

I'd dump the Ts and Ks and wrist snaps. I'll admit we used to do them, but that was before I researched more about the pitch and mechanics and such.

There are other, better, introductions to pitching. The T especially, I see taught with the ball pointing down. In a proper pitch, at that position the ball points up. The traditional T drill is exactly opposite of what you want.

Sep 29, 2014
Working with young first-time and almost first-time pitchers. I typically teach them how to snap the ball into the glove, ”T”s, ‘K”s, maybe some skating drills the slingshot and the basic windmill. for all of these drills, I typically have them keeping their stride foot or lead foot perpendicular to the target. So both feet are parallel at the start. The back foot will turn and push, but the front foot remains perpendicular to the path of the ball. my reason for this is that its easier to Keep the hips open prior to release.
we had a new coach running a session, and she had them allways keeping the front foot pointing at the target, no matter what drill they were doing.
at the time i just dismissed it as a different style/personal preference. But the more i think about it, the more i think its a bad thing.
what say you? Whats the benefit?
What do you mean by this? I'm confused about which foot is what? Back foot seems to imply the foot you are pushing off with...we don't want that foot turning sideways during pushoff and ideally it would stay laces up to the catcher but as long as it's heel up at release and lose through out not a big deal but we push off straight out should end up on your tip toe!

As for the front foot that is landing 45ish seems about right but I think a little variance isn't a big deal.

"T's'" and "K's" are fine for warming up as long as you are doing them right with correct mechanics biggest being palm up at nine, also need to make sure you are naturally letting your back foot following through and don't do these standing sideways at the finish.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019
Ive said too much and have basically created an incorrect description of what we are doing. Ts, Ks and wrist snaps are pretty much from Hillhouse lessons (more than a few years ago) and Hillhouse video to remind me.

the answer is: the stride foot at 45 deg is fine.

these kids need to learn arithmetic and you guys want me teaching them Algebra! 😝

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019
In this video, Ueno is warming up. She has her foot at 45 until right before plant, and then she straightens out her right foot before landing.

If you watch a game video, she lands with her foot at 45, and then immediately straightens it.

Thanks- she is unique and the game footage is wild with the 45 landing and then instantly straightening it.

Aug 21, 2008
Ive said too much and have basically created an incorrect description of what we are doing. Ts, Ks and wrist snaps are pretty much from Hillhouse lessons (more than a few years ago) and Hillhouse video to remind me.

the answer is: the stride foot at 45 deg is fine.

these kids need to learn arithmetic and you guys want me teaching them Algebra! 😝

Am I misreading this? I am having a hard time remembering when I have EVER told someone to do T's or wrist flips. If those words passed my lips, then you will have to forgive me. That is 100% opposite of what I believe and I don't recall ever having changed my mind or altered why I have taught.

Bill

Feb 8, 2019
Am I misreading this? I am having a hard time remembering when I have EVER told someone to do T's or wrist flips. If those words passed my lips, then you will have to forgive me. That is 100% opposite of what I believe and I don't recall ever having changed my mind or altered why I have taught.

Bill
You are correct. You never said that. I was mistaken about the T- clearly i got that from someone else- sorry, i forget that when i refer to a pitching coaches direction (by name), i better be accurate because its your livlihood .

The ‘Wrist Flips” i was referring to are not really wrist flips, its more like catching the ball on release the way you and Java do, but it was easier to say “wrist snaps” . I hate those dopey wrist snaps i see ’coaches” make kids do. where i live in the northeast, there are still pitching coaches who are hired by unwitting parents That have their students perform that useless drill! It was slanderous For me to say you taught that and i apologize for my mistake. My daughter and i have learned a lot from you, and i am grateful.

so again, i said too much where I ask about foot placement and spend most of my time explaining everything that was not in my question- ill learn. But thank you all for the good info that was shared.

Aug 21, 2008
You are correct. You never said that. I was mistaken about the T- clearly i got that from someone else- sorry, i forget that when i refer to a pitching coaches direction (by name), i better be accurate because its your livlihood .

The ‘Wrist Flips” i was referring to are not really wrist flips, its more like catching the ball on release the way you and Java do, but it was easier to say “wrist snaps” . I hate those dopey wrist snaps i see ’coaches” make kids do. where i live in the northeast, there are still pitching coaches who are hired by unwitting parents That have their students perform that useless drill! It was slanderous For me to say you taught that and i apologize for my mistake. My daughter and i have learned a lot from you, and i am grateful.

so again, i said too much where I ask about foot placement and spend most of my time explaining everything that was not in my question- ill learn. But thank you all for the good info that was shared.

Relax, it's all good. I appreciate the clarification. I was wondering if I ever spoke on camera drunk somewhere or something, where I talked all crazy about T's and wrist flicks. ha ha.

Bill

Mar 28, 2014
About 90% of the top pitchers land with foot at 45. The most notable exception is Ueno, the best pitcher in the world.

Ueno: 5 (Almost straight at catcher)
Osterman: 45
Sam Snow: 45
Pauly: 45
Finch: 45
Barnhill: 45
Garcia: 45
Gabby Plain: 45
Amber Fiser: 90 (She twists her foot after release to get into the 45 degree position)
Juarez: 45
Fairmo: 30
Fouts: 45 (she twists foot to end up at 0, straight at catcher)
Williams: 80 (twists foot after release to get into 45 degree position)
Oh how the mighty have fallen. A list of top pitchers without Monica Abbott on it!

Abbott is like Ueno. Foot almost pointing at the catcher. They are exceptions to the rule.

Oct 4, 2018

Bill

There's a great clip of you saying "Have you ever seen a major league baseball pitcher doing this?" while you're doing a overhand throw wrist flip. It's pretty comical and demonstrative. :p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101