Positional hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Have you ever heard about the book Positional Hitting? Just read it for the second time and it was much clearer. The book isn't being sold anymore, only used copies and their a little spendy. The author is Jamie Cevallos, he has worked with hitters like Zobrist. I think I paid 43 for mine.

It is a interesting read and I will post some info about hitting and the info in the book. Just wondering if anyone else has read it?

Jul 29, 2013
I've read it and still have a copy. Lots of good stuff but I think he misses out on the dynamism of the swing by focusing on the positions.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Bobby,

His positions are a little off, meaning the pics in the book there are several positions that don't look good or right.

His AOI (area of impact) information is OK. He suggests getting on plane early, level to the ball, and getting the barrel behind the body. His reasoning is that a swing that is down/level/up is changing planes to much. Also as he mentions that inside the ball mentality results in a poor AOI. The pics cover the AOI well and the info covers it pretty well. I liked that info. Although his"slot" position is way off, elbow is ahead of hands as the hitter flattens the barrel creating as swing around the body which he calls (early bat arcing) creating a good AOI. He sees a need for early batspeed (barrel arcing rearward) and swinging on plane the entire time, he just doesn't know how to swing on plane.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Bobby,

I see he has a new book on his website called "Swing cheat code 2". It says 2019 on the book and he says this about the book

One Simple Change To Your Mechanics to Start Hitting For a Higher Batting Average and More Home Runs!
Swing Cheat Code 2 Baseball Edition is an actual physical book that will be delivered to your door! Yes, an actual physical book! (I know, it's rare these days.) In less than 3000 words, for the first time ever, you will receive the secret to the baseball swing. This book is a culmination of more than 20 years of being obsessed with figuring out the swing, and now I have arrived at the one simple drill that will instantly give you your most powerful and consistent baseball swing. In time, I believe this will go down as the best baseball swing instruction book of all time. Let the Swing Cheat Code revolution begin!

It was only 20 bucks so I bought it. I'll let you know what is in this culmination of info.

Here's a link to his book,

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

This is pretty bad production. I think you might have lit 20 bucks on fire Shawn.

Yes that is what I posted, he doesn't know what a good swing plane is or how to create one. Like in the video he thinks you lower the hands and flatten the barrel behind the body. Same thing I posted. However what he is saying in general about the led arm being away from the body is correct. In the book he is showing the "colinear" position, the barrel being an extension of the led arm at contact. Eric and I had a conversation about the barrel/lead arm alignment at contact.

In the book he is correct the spine angle is creating the swing plane, although he mixes in lowering the hands and flattening the barrel behind the body to create the barrel path.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I just laughed at how he came across as the one and only guy who finally has found the secret. Then he throws some other former gurus under the bus.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I just laughed at how he came across as the one and only guy who finally has found the secret. Then he throws some other former gurus under the bus.

In his old book he throws Epstein under the bus a few times. He isn't incorrect about what he mentions about Epstein, for example he mentions the swing plane that Epstein suggests of being down/level/up. He calls/says that swing plane as changing planes to much. He is correct looking at the swing plane in that manner isn't correct.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28