Positional hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Isn't this exactly DBSF.

View attachment 15655

This has been my biggest pain in instruction now for my TB team. Stopping this swing. SO SO BAD.
I think I understand what he means not getting hands and arms far away from body but as another poster said physically impossible to hit a ball above the belt with that swing, he could demo something similar with a high pitch but it would start to look more like what he says doesn't work...It why you hear most people on this site talk about keeping your hands above the ball and letting bat angle do it's thing

Jul 29, 2013
Yes that is what I posted, he doesn't know what a good swing plane is or how to create one. Like in the video he thinks you lower the hands and flatten the barrel behind the body. Same thing I posted. However what he is saying in general about the led arm being away from the body is correct. In the book he is showing the "colinear" position, the barrel being an extension of the led arm at contact. Eric and I had a conversation about the barrel/lead arm alignment at contact.

In the book he is correct the spine angle is creating the swing plane, although he mixes in lowering the hands and flattening the barrel behind the body to create the barrel path.
However what he is saying in general about the led arm being away from the body is correct. In the book he is showing the "colinear" position, the barrel being an extension of the led arm at contact.
He sees a need for early batspeed (barrel arcing rearward)

These are the best points. Focus on the rearward barrel arc and creating the bat speed there are critical in creating a powerful swing.

Nov 16, 2017
And here is why we have so much misinformation about hitting.

Here are some pics that seem like they are backing up what he is saying.

1574427160529.png
1574427247092.png

BUT.....

All those balls are low and away.

Inside Pitch

1574427458081.png

Up in the zone.

1574427501319.png

If you teach this
Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.37.45 AM.png

The body will naturally extend the lead arm for a low outside pitch. However, if this is not a position you are working towards you will never hit anything over the inner 3rd or up in the zone. Nobody teaches being robotic in holding the lead elbow angle, at least I don't think. You can extend from here but you cannot in real time retract your lead elbow to this angle once your lead arm has extended.

Nov 16, 2017

Inside pitches... The release of the barrel should be adjustable. Not just to location but to timing. 👽

These bring up a good question. What is the optimal bat path. Is it more of a merry go round we see with Stan or more of the Ferris Wheel we see with Trout or Bellinger? I tend to think the more Ferris wheel the swing the better. At least for power.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Tilt a whirl
h8A3D6C0B

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
These bring up a good question. What is the optimal bat path. Is it more of a merry go round we see with Stan or more of the Ferris Wheel we see with Trout or Bellinger? I tend to think the more Ferris wheel the swing the better. At least for power.

I don’t think either path is better for power. I do think the different paths lead to a more advantageous ‘hot’ zone. Belli and Trout crush low stuff. Bregman crushes high stuff. As long as the release of the barrel is adjustable is what matters imo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28