Position the rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Why are pitchers always taught to stand with the pivot foot on the middle of the rubber? For sure I don't want to throw any pitches down the middle. Lets say I'm a RH pitcher and move my pivot foot to the right end (looking at the hitter) and my trail foot about the mid point of the rubber. It seems to me that if I have pitches with movement I have a better shot at hitting the inside corner and moving away from the outside corner.

Nov 8, 2018
Why are pitchers always taught to stand with the pivot foot on the middle of the rubber? For sure I don't want to throw any pitches down the middle. Lets say I'm a RH pitcher and move my pivot foot to the right end (looking at the hitter) and my trail foot about the mid point of the rubber. It seems to me that if I have pitches with movement I have a better shot at hitting the inside corner and moving away from the outside corner.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Pitchers frequently adjust their position on the rubber but it's generally for their mental comfort. From a physical standpoint changing from one side of the rubber to other is insignificant. If you do the math you are changing the path of the ball by less than 1 percent.

Nov 9, 2019
Just my thoughts, i think a small move right or left might not be noticed but if you say moved to the right two inches a sharp batter might guess your throwing inside .

May 20, 2016
Just my thoughts, i think a small move right or left might not be noticed but if you say moved to the right two inches a sharp batter might guess your throwing inside .

Not sure that would work in their favor as a pitcher will move to the right side of the rubber to throw a screwball.

My DD's coach moves her around a bit depending how she's throwing and what the ump is calling. If her inside pitch is a half a ball off he moves her to the left. Vise versa if the ump is giving the inside pitch to move it off just a little more. Makes sense to start in the middle but should move around a bit depending on what you're throwing. Just need to be able to throw multiple pitches for strikes from the location you move to so you are not tipping the pitch.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I wouldn't be moving back and forth but rather move right and stay there. If the hitter adjusts by moving away from the plate that brungs the outside corner into play.

Maybe I am all wet on this thing but I have always questioned the status quo. You would be surprised the # of times the response is "that's how we have always done It.
If someone explains it so it makes sense then fine. I shift defenders because it makes sense. Yes I have gotten burned from time to time but on balance I believe that I come out ahead. Yet my opponents play the same defense for every hitter."

Jan 28, 2017
DD doesn't do this but I have always wondered about the pitcher that slides the foot in before pitching, could the they slide more towards 1st or stop early towards 3rd. DD tried the slide think and it wasn't for her.

NBE.....great point. I am a huge believer in starting with the drive foot at the mid-right (RHP) of the pitchers plate. It sets up some much need horizontal release angle which helps a ball with the mass of a softball actually display some horizontal break if that is desired.
A couple points on this: 1. the pitcher still strides straight which means their stride foot lands in-line with where their drive foot initiated the push from...mid-right. 2. you should always drive from the exact same position off the rubber regardless of which movement pitch you are throwing......if not, it is the easiest pick in the game. 3. it is really difficult to throw anything resembling a "backdoor" pitch if you are starting your drive foot in the center of the plate. 4. and yes, you can still stride left enough to set up the inward release angle for a screwball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802