POP times...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Probably going to start a fire, then bail out of here, but that's ok.

For all the "my 14 year old has a 1.65 pop" coaches/dads out there...sorry, probably not. ;)

Jun 20, 2015
saw a similar video where all the PRO fastpitch throw downs were video timed as well. Fastest was Aubry Munro at 1.76-1.77 sec.

Jun 11, 2013
I think to be fair a lot of people time things not in game situations so you tend to be a little faster. If you are just getting a pitch and throwing without having to worry about a hitter swinging you can cut some time off. I would say the same about people timing speed to first base on a fake swing versus a real one.

Oct 14, 2019
Considering reported pop times and runner’s speed numbers, pitcher time to plate must represent a significant variable in catcher throwouts.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
People usually quote pop times from a drill. People usually quote exit velocity from a drill, overhand throw velocity too. Lots of numbers from drills.

In a game, mid 1.8's and a good throw, gets the runner every time.

And yes, if you can throw a mid 1.8 in a game, its totally reasonable to post a sub 1.7sec in a drill (especially when you only quote the best).

Nov 9, 2021
This may be the wrong thread for this. But noticed most catchers in college seem to throw exclusively from their knees now. How much of a difference does this make to pop time in your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This may be the wrong thread for this. But noticed most catchers in college seem to throw exclusively from their knees now. How much of a difference does this make to pop time in your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DD is about .1 sec quicker getting rid of the ball from her knees, but she throws a little harder and is more accurate from her feet. She prefers throwing from her feet, but will throw from her knees if the situation demands it. I'm an advocate of catchers being competent at throwing to all bases from feet and knees. Fill the tool box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802