POP TIME STARTS WHEN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yes, pop times are important but well down on the list. Too many coaches, parents and players obsess over pop times because it somewhat measurable. But for the most part they are pretty subjective. Too many focus on pop times at the expense of basic fundamentals. A catcher may have an alleged world class pop time, but if you can't block, keep strikes as strikes, field the position, etc. you are of no value behind the plate. When I am recruiting and all I hear about a catcher is their pop time, it is time to move on. Just like when a pitcher tells me they have 5 pitches. :)

Last edited:

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
A local pitching coach told me recently that pop time should start at the pitcher's release, because that's when the runner can leave.

Obviously that adds time but what are your thoughts on using this?
Ive always known "pop time" to be pop of the mitt to pop of the SS/2B glove.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Yes, pop times are important but well down on the list. Too many coaches, parents and players obsess over pop times because it somewhat measurable. But for the most part they are pretty subjective. Too many focus on pop times at the expense of basic fundamentals. A catcher may have an alleged world class pop time, but if you can't block, keep strikes as strikes, field the position, etc. you are of no value behind the plate. When I am recruiting and all I hear about a catcher is their pop time, it is time to move on. Just like when a pitcher tells me they have 5 pitches. :)
Totally agree with this!

I'd say the most important thing is to be in the acceptable pop time window.. From what I see, nearly everyone has a pop time of 1.75-1.85 secs. If you can work towards that, step one completed. Much more important is the accuracy of the throws.

There are few catchers that fall outside that very small window. I know that <1.70 times exist, but it usually involves a very strong arm and a significant dose of "cheating", aka lined up receiving the ball at 45deg to the pitcher... To me, that disqualifies the time, as the number one job of the catcher (IMO) is to receive the ball well. Lined up all funky for an imaginary pop time compromises receiving, blocking, and picking the ball.

Jun 1, 2013
A local pitching coach told me recently that pop time should start at the pitcher's release, because that's when the runner can leave.

Obviously that adds time but what are your thoughts on using this?
Pop times are a metric to isolate the catcher’s skills. If you incorporate the pitcher then you are adding variables you can’t control. By using this method a terrible pop time would look good with a kid throwing 62 vs one throwing 52 and vice versa. I was always told the whole reason it is called “pop time” is because it is measure from pop of glove (catcher) to pop of glove(SS).

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
To encourage working on throwing, i'm bringing up pop times again ;)

THE CATCHERS POP TIME
STARTS the moment the pitched softball~
1. Touches the catchers glove.
Or
2. The moment it hits the catchers body or equiptment.

The clock STOPS when catchers throw reaches the intended defensive receiver.
*Not when it bounces in front of the defensive reciever.

*To be more specific!
If the catcher drops to their knees. And pitched softball hits them. Either there glove or body, the clock starts at that moment.
*It does NOT matter if the pitch is considered a wild pitch or not.
*It does not matter if the pitch bounced up into the catchers chest protector.
*It does not matter if the catcher has to jump.
*It does not matter if the catcher has to move to the sides.

Once the ball touches the catcher at all...glove or body,
The POP TIME begins!

POP TIMES ARE A DEFFENSIVE PLAY~
The requirement, expectation, goal is the catcher has the ability to stop runners from advancing.
There can also be the goal of back picks.

*Whatever mechanics the catcher uses is included in the pop time!
This means if the catcher choses to block the pitch letting the softball hit them...
The clock starts at that moment of contact.
While the softball is bouncing off them and rolling on the ground...that time is included in the catchers pop time.
*To be clear on this point~
* (after blocking) NO the clock does NOT start when the catcher picks the ball up off the ground. Clock starts at contact.

LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT
Starts when the glove pops the catcher mitt and ends when the ball pops the MI’s glove. It’s the time measured between the pops. At least that’s how I always understood it.

May 21, 2015
South
The goal is to throw the runner out or to intimidate other team into not attempting to steal. There are a lot of other issues involved besides pop time. Accuracy of throw, tagging ability at second base, first baseman obstructing view of pitcher to reduce jump from first base, large intimidating catcher are just a few things involved in the ultimate goal.

Oct 14, 2020
Pop times are a metric to isolate the catcher’s skills. If you incorporate the pitcher then you are adding variables you can’t control. By using this method a terrible pop time would look good with a kid throwing 62 vs one throwing 52 and vice versa. I was always told the whole reason it is called “pop time” is because it is measure from pop of glove (catcher) to pop of glove(SS).
Right. Thanks.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yesterday a coach who has been coaching softball for 6 years said he previously coached baseball in high school for 8 years,
Had this conversation with me.

He said he has a hard time getting the catchers throwing speed better.
it doesn't seem to make much difference on results with runners stealing.
I asked
'what are you looking at once they catch the ball?'
He said,
I time they're throwing speed with speed gun.

I replied,
so you're just timing they're throwing speed.
Are you asking about
pop time or throwing speed?

He asked
What do you mean?

I responded,
Pop time is~Assessing looking at once they catch the ball how long does it take for them to transition the ball into their throwing hand and their throwing mechanics. Because all that takes time. Elapsed time.
To detail better,
mechanics can eat up time.
if it takes too long it will hurt the overall time it takes to get the ball to where trying to throw it. Better mechanics can also increase throwing speed as well help pop time efficiency.

He said I never considered that.

That is exactly why I am happy to continue the reminder of
The pop time starts when...
The pitched ball first come into contact with either the catcher's glove or their body/equipment. It is not when catcher releases the ball from their hand throwing it.

Last edited:
May 21, 2015
South
I am a little surprised the issue of throwing from the knees has not come up during this discussion. My DD was taught to go with the pitch. Low pitch stay on knees. High pitch stand up. I have seen coaches tell a tall catcher (6') to never stand up and always throw from knees. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28