POP and throw?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Seems like a lot of college catchers are popping and throwing rather than planting their throwing side foot and striding towards their target. I guess I could see an argument that popping would get both feet on the ground quicker...but seems to me that planting quickly and striding towards the target would be more consistently accurate, creating momentum towards your target rather than rotational momentum..and maybe less strain on the arm. Just wondering if there is a shift towards popping and throwing for catchers?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If you pop (jump in the air), you can't do anything until you land. Watch MLB catchers. There is a right-left sequence of their feet on the ground. It may be fast, but it's there.

My DD did a pretty good job here...

Mar 1, 2016
It seems to me that both methods would work for different catchers. For some, the step toward the target would work better because they have a lot of power in their legs and can transfer that energy into the throw. Others have a super strong core and can generate the rotational force with a good mid-body twist. To me it’s like a batting stance - everybody is a little bit different, and if you try to take a cookie cutter approach then you’re doing the catcher a disservice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I’m new to softball daughter is starting her 3rd year. She’s in 10u now. She caught last year and is catching again this year. I figured most of them past 12u would just throw off their knees is this not the case? I only assumed that I guess bc she is a 1 step throw to second now but she throws to third off her knee most times unless the pitch brings her up out of her stance. Should she not be throwing on runners off her knee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Players will develop preferences over time. My DD tends to throw more from her feet, but can also throw well from her knees. Teach them how to do both, to every base. The more tools they have, the more effective they will be. Let the situation dictate what method they use.

My DD last year (14U TB)...

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Players will develop preferences over time. My DD tends to throw more from her feet, but can also throw well from her knees. Teach them how to do both, to every base. The more tools they have, the more effective they will be. Let the situation dictate what method they use.

My DD last year (14U TB)...
The umpire's reaction in that video never gets old.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28