Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Parents are saying that the 3rd base coach and the player in the background were yelling for the runner to "run her over" (Catcher) and at that moment the runner changed her direction by 3 feet and put her arms up. The parents say the catcher heard this and defended herself.

Regardless of what was, or was not said by the 3rd base coach or the players in the background, the catcher should not be standing in the base path, even partially, when there is no play at the plate.

Feb 13, 2013
IMO both parties are at fault. Granted, by the rules the catcher should have gave-way knowing she had no play at home. She clearly knew the runners were coming and chose not to. Bad form. The runners also knew there was no play at home which is why neither one of them slid. Instead, both chose to go through the catch rather than simple move a step to the right and go around. Bad form as well. In both case, the catcher and runners were looking for contact. Bad form all around. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Parents are saying that the 3rd base coach and the player in the background were yelling for the runner to "run her over" (Catcher) and at that moment the runner changed her direction by 3 feet and put her arms up. The parents say the catcher heard this and defended herself.

The same conversations say that both sides were playing "rough" and the umpires allowed it as they saw it as physical play by two determined teams.

Not my words or opinion-just more info that is out there that we may never know is true or not.

Being we weren't there we are ALL taking this out of context and should not judge so harshly based on limited information and a snapshot in time. There are two sides to every story and we will never really have all the truth as outsiders.

Careful to judge a child

Again I know nothing of the teams etc-I just did a little more than watch a short video and argue on a forum that I had to be right.

There is no play at home and no reason for the catcher to be anywhere near where she is. Move up and let them in. Poorly trained and vicious is what she is. She deserves the backlash she's getting and she's damned lucky the runners didn't come inside the plate sliding with their cleats up after the first runner was knocked to the ground.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

The same conversations say that both sides were playing "rough" and the umpires allowed it as they saw it as physical play by two determined teams.

Not my words or opinion-just more info that is out there that we may never know is true or not.

Being we weren't there we are ALL taking this out of context and should not judge so harshly based on limited information and a snapshot in time. There are two sides to every story and we will never really have all the truth as outsiders.

Careful to judge a child

Again I know nothing of the teams etc-I just did a little more than watch a short video and argue on a forum that I had to be right.
Looking at the video I don't see either runner put their arms up, and further I don't see either runner running anywhere other then directly toward home. which is exactly where runners are supposed to go.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

Careful to judge a child

REALLY didn't want to get involved in this, but dd just said to me "if this is so shocking for baserunning team, why does 3rd base coach watch the contact so closely, no play on runner, clap excitedly and almost happy, then point. No play on her, why would she even be looking there" (Second runner)

And just my observation...WHOLE lot of open plate on both plays and no reason for a runner to ever be in fair territory 3rd to home.

Last edited:

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
KCPRK you never answered my questions.

Give us your honest opinion on two questions. What would you do if you were the 3rd base coach/manager and this happened twice in a game you were coaching? Last, how would you handle the scenario if this was a catcher of one of the teams in your organization?

Aug 5, 2012
Unacceptable...but probably no more than me saying I'd have my pitcher put one in her ribcage after the second one.
That said, she does a nice job of "showing the back pocket" to the runner on the first clip before delivering the blow.

Aug 5, 2012
I'd also be curious what the exchange was between the second runner and catcher after the play. They obviously had words.

Jan 24, 2009
WHOLE lot of open plate on both plays.

...until the cheapo bush league shot at both runners by catcher Megan Crosby.

and no reason for a runner to ever be in fair territory 3rd to home.

Umm, there is video... so the following is not subject to interpretation: Neither baserunner takes even one footstep into fair territory. Both runners even miss touching the plate because the bush league catcher applies an illegal cheap shot on each.

Fifteen minutes of fame.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802