Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I also wonder if coaches that have told her to hold that palm up/down longer have caused an issue too.

Your are correct. Roughly palm up palm down at contact then use the idea of "throw the top hand past the bottom hand" after that to a nice full finish.

Look at the swings above to see what I mean and then try that yourself and have your DD try it.

If you maintain palm up palm down or the hitter's "box" too long you end up chicken-winging rather than swinging.

Apr 26, 2014
Don't feel comfortable at all yet and it's driving me nuts. I'm really trying to go through all the info so I don't go down the wrong path and make it worse. She actually hits very well but certainly not all the power she is capable of. Out to the garage we go!

Nov 1, 2008
Don't try to get it all at once. I'm still trying to piece it all together. There's a thread on here that shows Louisiana Lafayette's batters doing what I would call a check swing in the in deck circle or between pitches. It gives a good visual of the exaggerated barrel turning motion. I'll try to find it.

Nov 1, 2008
Here it is as originally posted by FFS. Obviously this is a greatly exaggerated movement but it might allow you to SEE turning the barrel as opposed to swinging the bat.
2qx55qb.gif

Apr 26, 2014
I did a side view followed by a rear view. I think I'm getting an understanding. Are we talking about firing the bat between the elbows like chopping wood but on a different plane? Maybe keeping hers hands closer to body and then flipping the bat at the ball?

We tried some ideas but mainly worked on her step that has gotten opened. Showed her clips of these guys loading and that shoulder down power position but she seems to want to aim for the stars. :)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I did a side view followed by a rear view. I think I'm getting an understanding. Are we talking about firing the bat between the elbows like chopping wood but on a different plane? Maybe keeping hers hands closer to body and then flipping the bat at the ball?

We tried some ideas but mainly worked on her step that has gotten opened. Showed her clips of these guys loading and that shoulder down power position but she seems to want to aim for the stars. :)

On occasion, you come across a hitter that is so persistent, that you almost have to blurt out ….. “turn the barrel REARWARD”.

I kid you not …. There are some hitters that have to be told this before they can learn to feel the usage of their hands to “turn the barrel forward”.

Apr 26, 2014
On occasion, you come across a hitter that is so persistent, that you almost have to blurt out ….. “turn the barrel REARWARD”.

I kid you not …. There are some hitters that have to be told this before they can learn to feel the usage of their hands to “turn the barrel forward”.

I guess the turn part is confusing. Sounds like it would mean rotating the barrel but apparently not. I can see where her swing/hands seem to keep rotating around and don't release like others. She had an instructor tell her to hold her finish longer and no it seems her finish never ends. We will start trying that drill show in the previous post and see what happens. I'll try and understand what exactly turning the barrel back or forward means and we will keep working. Many thanks!

Nov 1, 2008
Basically the "turn" is going from the bat being point up (approximately) to the bat hitting the catcher on the top of the head (sort of). Obviously the body is rotating so the head of the bat doesn't actually get anywhere near the catcher's head because the batter's body is rotating towards the pitcher. But the bat rotates from the 12 o'clock position to the 9 o'clock position if you are looking at a RH hitter from the LH batters box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28