POLL ~Umpires fudging with the strike zone area.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should ump fluctuate zone pending the pitchers success rate

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • No

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Absurd

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Necessary

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I also can't stand it when they start calling strikes off the plate when we're batting (I refuse to teach DD to start swinging at a pitch 6" outside the plate).
Why would you want to give the other team's pitcher that advantage and not train your daughter to hit pitches that are being called strikes?
Did i read that correctly? because you don't think it makes them any better.
But the reality is those pitches are being called strikes. They need to learn to make big adjustments to the game and to umpires.
These things will make her better.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019
Oh I see because you don't think it makes them any better. But the reality is those pitches are being called strikes. They need to learn to make big adjustments to the game and to umpires.
These things will make her better.
If a strike is called, lets for example say, at or above her eyes. Are your really going to say that it makes her a better player to start swinging at those? She's better because she learned to start swinging at balls that hit the plate. Nah, I don't agree. It's one game and one ump.

She is however capable of hitting pitches that aren't strikes, we've always worked at the ability of how to hit a bad pitch. There are certainly times when you've got to, but I'm not advocating chasing bad pitches regularly.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If a strike is called, lets for example say, at or above her eyes. Are your really going to say that it makes her a better player to start swinging at those? She's better because she learned to start swinging at balls that hit the plate. Nah, I don't agree. It's one game and one ump.

She is however capable of hitting pitches that aren't strikes, we've always worked at the ability of how to hit a bad pitch. There are certainly times when you've got to, but I'm not advocating chasing bad pitches regularly

It makes her a better player to recognize that an Umpire is calling that a strike and be able to hit it
so she doesn't strike out.
* have to learn to make adjustments huge huge huge importance

Nice to read you do work on hitting pitches that are not strikes!
Yes I definitely believe that batters should work on hitting pitches that are out of the Zone absolutely 100% yes

As a catcher this has been confirmed numerous times!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Geeez...
Umpire explaining why they are being inconsistent.
🙈🙉🙊
You think that's bad? We have an ump for our high school games who says he's going to do this before the game starts.

Our two worst offensive games of the year last year were with him behind the plate. Our pitcher never walks anybody (she also doesn't throw hard and doesn't get a ton of strikeouts). The other pitchers couldn't find the strike zone. He may have been consistent, but it definitely hurt my hitters, who have been taught to not swing at garbage.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You think that's bad? We have an ump for our high school games who says he's going to do this before the game starts.

Our two worst offensive games of the year last year were with him behind the plate. Our pitcher never walks anybody (she also doesn't throw hard and doesn't get a ton of strikeouts). The other pitchers couldn't find the strike zone. He may have been consistent, but it definitely hurt my hitters, who have been taught to not swing at garbage.
Yikes how does he communicate that?

Lol is that at the plate meeting...
Ump tells each team what their strikezone will be
Home team
9" x 15"

Away team
18" × 46"

😁🥳

Apr 11, 2016
Not fair to pitcher or the batter if UMP changes zone. How many times DD was squeezed while the other team got big wide margin. For the batters who got the bigger zone, it teaches the her to swing at everything even though she shouldn't. It hurts the pitcher who got squeezed b/c now she has to do more pitches. You never know how many more games she has to pitch, and then her team may lose the next game b/c her pitch count is now too high, and coach has to put another pitcher in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802