POLL~To move or Get hit by pitches~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Get hit by pitch or no, which is your preference?

• Get hit by pitch is right thing to do get 1st base..

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Never ok to purposely get hit.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Leaning into pitches is smart.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always make attempt to move out of way.

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters
Jun 8, 2016
Well, hopefully, you get the batter out. However, when trying not to pitch them something that they can hit hard, the pitch misses a little too far inside, and they get hit. With some batters, in some situations, that's an acceptable result.
Ok sure. If you are going to throw inside don’t miss over the plate. I took your original post as saying you didn’t want to pitch to them at all..my fault.

Apr 11, 2016
Any coach who tells the players to get hit by pitch is a moron. I've definitely seen a handful, thankfully not too many, of players standing right over the zone trying to get hit.

DD got hit by a 60MPH pitch. She had no time to react. Pitcher was trying to throw a curve to DD, a lefty. The ball went too far over and hit DD right on her right hand. This happened in June.

DD's softball season's over. Not only did she missed her entire softball season, she also missed her entire tennis summer season.

She just entered high school and missed making tennis varsity. She was the only freshmen to be asked to try out for a singles spot, but after 6 days of tryout, her hand hurt too much that she couldn't play consistently. Not to mention being rusty not having played her entire summer.

Being hit by a pitch is dangerous. It's not worth the injury. It affects other aspects of the player's life also.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I think that it honestly depends on the batter. A fast base runner that bats in the .200's - wear that pitch like a shirt. Slower base runner that hits bombs (like my DD was) - she would do everything she could to get out of the way so that she would have another chance to hit the ball.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Somewhere along the line of the thread the discussion has morphed from "do you want your players trying to move out of the way of a pitch" to coaches "instructing players to lean into a pitch."

There is absolutely a difference here. Never in my life would I tell a batter to intentionally position herself to take a pitch.

That being said, I am also specifically instructing players on how to properly turn and take a HBP. Sometimes that is far better (and less likely to cause injury) than trying to jump out of the way. Reaction time is minimal on a fastball, teach them to get HBP properly.

Now if the pitch is at your knees/ankle/feet/head, yes get out of the way by any means possible.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good poll results!
Interesting no one selected leaning into pitches is smart.
Wonder how many people think or observe that DOES actually happen?!!
Be it intentionally or not it happens...
from the movements have seen of some batters, would say at times it does intentionally happen.
Screenshot_20220824-080518_Chrome.jpg

Apr 8, 2019
I think that it honestly depends on the batter. A fast base runner that bats in the .200's - wear that pitch like a shirt. Slower base runner that hits bombs (like my DD was) - she would do everything she could to get out of the way so that she would have another chance to hit the ball.
You are risking the chance of serious injury. Deep bruising or maybe even a break. Not worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2