POLL~To move or Get hit by pitches~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Get hit by pitch or no, which is your preference?

• Get hit by pitch is right thing to do get 1st base..

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Never ok to purposely get hit.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Leaning into pitches is smart.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always make attempt to move out of way.

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters
Jun 11, 2013
No, it's not Ok to tell a kid to let the pitch hit them. It doesn't matter the score or the level. Our first job as coaches is to protect them. There are unavoidable injuries that occur, but to purposely put someone in danger is just wrong.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has been hurt being hit. We did practice a little bit with the Team about being hit and trying avoid getting hurt.

It is part of the game. DD lead of most the time, her only job was to get on 1st. I would pull her if she intentional got hit by pitch, she is better then that.

Short version of story ...

DD was pitching against an ex-teamate. She was on the ground crying, people were talking about calling 911. I am not sure DD even hit her. Icing on the cake was she took 10 minutes limping to 1st base while DD had to give the oboliotory clap. The pitch was never by her legs.

DD happened to be pitching next time she was up. I am not sure what happened but ball slipped out of DD's hand. I heard it hit the batter sitting in the OF.

Oct 4, 2018
Nice topic. I teach them how to get hit.. back to the ball. Hands covered. I don’t expect them to wear it unless it’s in a late tight game.

Yup. Tie game in the bottom of 7th, 0-2 count... yeah, let it hit you.

Otherwise please do try not to get hurt.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
No, it's not Ok to tell a kid to let the pitch hit them. It doesn't matter the score or the level. Our first job as coaches is to protect them. There are unavoidable injuries that occur, but to purposely put someone in danger is just wrong.
14U and up, it's fine. It's part of the game. Some kids are better at taking a ball to the elbow, thigh, arm than others. For those who don't want to get hit, do a good job of getting out of the way. Others not so much.

As a casual observer, Hockey is a game, but for some reason full blown fist fights happen often without the cops being called in. Certain players are better at fighting than others....Enforcers.

May 23, 2015
This right here.

Heard it from a youth football ref a long time ago and its stuck with me. First priority that you have as an adult involved with youth sports is the safety of the players.

Risk of broken bones and all that is bad enough...to say nothing about potential concussions/brain injuries. Risk injury to get a free base? Nah.

Im guessing an unpopular opinion right here: de-incentiveize getting HPB. Change the rule, if in blues judgement the batter makes no attempt to avoid then call it a ball. Might give a little back to the pitcher too...not be as hesitant to back someone off the plate, etc.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My DD pitched a game against a team for a second time. First time 1 hit 1 run (on an overthrow) in 5 innings. Second time their coach believing they could not hit her was having batters stand in the river (line was worn out) trying to get hit. I did not know the rule was completely in the box or realize until toward the end of the game or I would have told her coaches. She hit 3 and swears 2 of the were strikes.
My problem is someone will get hurt. The girls should be trying to improve hitting. Always wrong to cheat to win win because you are better.
Neanderthal Coaching. BUT, your DDs coach should have picked up on it and talked to the ump. There is a whole TB ORG. that teaches this crap. Batter starts with elbow in the strike zone.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
We've never suggested anyone get hit, but we made sure they understand getting on base by HBP is just as valuable as a single. Last season, with probably two games remaining, my 8th grader had one come at her leg. She stood there like a rock and watched it come in and hit her on the thigh. Was looking at her thigh as it hit. Then she screams "yeah! finally!" and proceeds to tell me at 1B that she hadn't been hit all year. All I could do was shake my head and laugh. Of my two girls, she was always the dainty one. Softball has turned her into something......different.
She might have a slightly different take if the pitcher was throwing 68 mph.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Toward the conversation talking about the speed of the pitch~ what speed of a pitch makes a difference to you?

(Going to bring into the discussion that even catchers in 10U get bruised from pitches in the dirt when they block and it hits their legs and arms. Of which is a strong reason why I teach catchers to use our glove as much as we can and to control the ball to control the game.)

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I think every players need to be taught how to properly take a HBP.

There are situations and pitch locations where you absolutely eat it. I would never coach my kids to just stand there while a 55+ mph balls comes in at their knees, ankle/feet, or head.

But mid/upper zone (chest to thigh), teach them how to properly take a pitch.

Also, there comes a time (pitch speed) when its hard to get out of the way. TEACH them how to take a pitch. Everyone talking about wrist and elbow injuries, how many of those were caused by the players just standing there taking one? Probably none. It was probably a ball that crept up on them inside and they just couldn't get out of the way.

There is a big difference in knowing how to take a HBP and just standing there letting the ball hit you. They make shirts with chest/rib/lower back protection and elbow guards, use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802