POLL~To move or Get hit by pitches~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Get hit by pitch or no, which is your preference?

• Get hit by pitch is right thing to do get 1st base..

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Never ok to purposely get hit.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Leaning into pitches is smart.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always make attempt to move out of way.

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Getting hit is part of the game and in order to be a good hitter you have to move without fear of getting hit so it is good to teach them how to get hit..if necessary (some kids turn correctly by default) That is different than taking one for the team. I feel like I spend half my life working with my DD on her hitting so selfishly I want her to hit (I honestly don't even like it when she walks..) and I don't want anything she does (purposely) to effect her ability to do that in the next AB/Game/Week/Month/Year/Decade.... 🤷‍♂️
Like this point! 🔝

As there are some batters that tend to bail immediately on an inside pitch they'll go into the turn maneuver or completely step out.

Oct 4, 2018
Btw...
Generally in Polls if given the choice/outlet of picking the choice that is both answers in the same selection probably majority will pick the safe Choice the equivalent to selecting both than make the hard decision. 🤷‍♀️

To get accurate results the choices you give users need to be exhaustive (ie. cover all answers). Many of us aren't able to answer your poll, and I'd argue that makes the results suspect. If you can update it and add a choice I think you'd get better understanding of how we feel on the issue. But that's up to you of course.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
To get accurate results the choices you give users need to be exhaustive (ie. cover all answers). Many of us aren't able to answer your poll, and I'd argue that makes the results suspect. If you can update it and add a choice I think you'd get better understanding of how we feel on the issue. But that's up to you of course.
It is an open discussion nothing closed discussion to any other topics within this. Glad people were able to step up and make one choice or the other.
Highly probable that you wanted to select get hit by pitches is okay you just wanted to be able to explain yourself.

To your point of wanting the option of discussing your Viewpoint I'm glad you have made it.

Your Viewpoint seems to be in a tight game you want the Batters to get hit by pitches. Would you like to discuss when you think it's appropriate for batters to purposely get hit by pitches? Should that be in the first inning or only in the last inning?

Additionally do you only want certain batters to get hit by pitches or all of the batters?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017
Btw...
Generally in Polls if given the choice/outlet of picking the choice that is both answers in the same selection probably majority will pick the safe Choice the equivalent to selecting both than make the hard decision. 🤷‍♀️
It's not about the "safe" choice though. The poll is flawed. Always and never answers are usually wrong, whether it's a poll, or a multiple choice test in school.

1. Sometimes getting hit is the right choice. That's not because some hardass coach drilled it into the players head to "take one for the team". Players are smart, and understand the situations.

2. Define "purposely". If they don't do everything humanly possible to get out of the way, is that "purposely" getting hit?

3. No leaning into it isn't smart, and that's why nobody has picked that answer. A good ump wouldn't allow it anyway (but it does happen).

4. Always... and similar to 2, what makes it an attempt? Sometimes they might only have enough time to react and get in the best position to "take it".

Small sample size of my daughters team through the years, but I can remember players being injured (missed at least a game) running the bases, diving for a ball, making a throw, making a tag, playing catcher, and even slipping on concrete floor of the dugout with metal spikes on. "Knock on wood", never by a hit by pitch. Unfortunately, injuries happen.

RAD, you have played this sport at a very high level, for a long time. I find it just about impossible (but won't say never), that you haven't had conversations with teammates in the dugout about "taking one for the team". Especially in the 1-0, 2-1 era of the game.

Jun 8, 2016
It's not about the "safe" choice though. The poll is flawed. Always and never answers are usually wrong, whether it's a poll, or a multiple choice test in school.

1. Sometimes getting hit is the right choice. That's not because some hardass coach drilled it into the players head to "take one for the team". Players are smart, and understand the situations.

2. Define "purposely". If they don't do everything humanly possible to get out of the way, is that "purposely" getting hit?

3. No leaning into it isn't smart, and that's why nobody has picked that answer. A good ump wouldn't allow it anyway (but it does happen).

4. Always... and similar to 2, what makes it an attempt? Sometimes they might only have enough time to react and get in the best position to "take it".

Small sample size of my daughters team through the years, but I can remember players being injured (missed at least a game) running the bases, diving for a ball, making a throw, making a tag, playing catcher, and even slipping on concrete floor of the dugout with metal spikes on. "Knock on wood", never by a hit by pitch. Unfortunately, injuries happen.

RAD, you have played this sport at a very high level, for a long time. I find it just about impossible (but won't say never), that you haven't had conversations with teammates in the dugout about "taking one for the team". Especially in the 1-0, 2-1 era of the game.
I have seen cases where the ball is coming at a kid's foot and all they had to do was lift their foot and it wouldn't have hit them..that is purposely without leaning into it. The injuries you mentioned occurred during necessary game actions (ok not slipping in the dugout..) ..getting hit isn't necessary if you can avoid it. I guess one could argue that if they didn't want to slide because they were afraid of getting hurt they didn't have to and I suppose it would be a valid argument but I don't see that as an apples to apples comparison..

All of this said I don't really care much whether my kid's team wins or loses (she has to, I don't). Only reason I care at all is that she likes it when they win.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019

My take on topics there is no one size fits all answer for everybody.
imo think the poll would have been flawed if you could pick both no it's not okay to get hit by pitches, but in certain circumstances it's okay. 🤷‍♀️
Or... only if it's a one-run ball game. It's still okaying getting hit by a pitch, people just want an explanation to why they think it's okay.

😄 and there possibly could never be enough poll answers for people to select to fit everybody.

As far as the era of when I played softball we had to make an attempt to move out of the way of pitches and could not just stand there and take a bruise and a base.

I would never want myself or any softball player to get hit by a pitch just so they could get on base.
Absolutely prefer to use our bat and skills to get on base.

That said,
it has happened that I have played against tremendously fantastic softball player who I watched them purposely get hit by a pitch that they could have moved out of the way of and actually moved into its way...what occurred, I lost respect for that particular player that I saw did that (eventho it was a very important game in a tournament.)
That was her choice, even though she was a tremendous hitter still did that,
to me that was a cheesy thing.
( even saw her smirk when it happened)

That might bring up another discussion about integrity versus winning.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
While I never encouraged her to do it, my DD had no issue with "owning the batters box", including developing skills that appeared to look like an attempt to avoid, but really just made herself wider. It became a notable part of her offensive production. Her record for getting HBP in one summer TB season was 17. She reached that number twice. Next most on her team was 5.

From a defensive coaching standpoint, sometimes hitting a batter is a better option than having them deliver the ball to the opposite side of the OF fence. I'm not saying that intentional HBP is a a good idea, but it if happens it could be a less-costly result.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
From a defensive coaching standpoint, sometimes hitting a batter is a better option than having them deliver the ball to the opposite side of the OF fence. I'm not saying that intentional HBP is a a good idea, but it if happens it could be a less-costly result.
Wouldn’t it be easier (and safer) to put up 4 fingers??

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wouldn’t it be easier (and safer) to put up 4 fingers??

Well, hopefully, you get the batter out. However, when trying not to pitch them something that they can hit hard, the pitch misses a little too far inside, and they get hit. With some batters, in some situations, that's an acceptable result.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
While I never encouraged her to do it, my DD had no issue with "owning the batters box", including developing skills that appeared to look like an attempt to avoid, but really just made herself wider. It became a notable part of her offensive production. Her record for getting HBP in one summer TB season was 17. She reached that number twice. Next most on her team was 5.
but really just made herself wider
less-costly result

Can appreciate the honesty in both of those comments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802