POLL~To move or Get hit by pitches~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Get hit by pitch or no, which is your preference?

• Get hit by pitch is right thing to do get 1st base..

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Never ok to purposely get hit.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Leaning into pitches is smart.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always make attempt to move out of way.

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Everyone talking about wrist and elbow injuries, how many of those were caused by the players just standing there taking one? Probably none
Absolutely there are some batters that will purposely keep their arm with elbow guard directly in line with the pitch purposely not moving it out of the way.
Even Outside of the box is a place where that elbow guard helps them get on first base.
That's an example of batters learning how to create HBP.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Absolutely there are some batters that will purposely keep their arm with elbow guard directly in line with the pitch purposely not moving it out of the way.
Even Outside of the box is a place where that elbow guard helps them get on first base.
That's an example of teaching batters how to create HBP.
I certainly would not advocate for teaching to "create" a HBP (for some reason my first thought is Roger Dorn leaning into one, lol).

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I certainly would not advocate for teaching to "create" a HBP (for some reason my first thought is Roger Dorn leaning into one, lol).
Btw like your conversation about teaching batters about pitch locations and what to do!

Understand the intention of learning how to take a pitch as best we can. But there are times those movements can turn the batter into the river. Aka: into the pitch.

My thought on that, If the first intention brings my front backside into where the pitch is supposed to be going I would not do it.
1. Because see it as an encouragement to get the bulk of the body into the pitch. Which is the thought process of oh I'm not going to swing. Which I don't like.
2. If a pitch is going to come into the river I would like my first thought to be open up and crank on the pitch and rip it. Even if it's coming slightly at me in the Box.
*Always rather have me hitting the ball than the ball hitting me. Defend my body with my bat when possible.

Pitches that are full on flingers into the middle of the batter's box are hard to dodge. But I would never stand there and just let something hit my lower legs or arms.
Suffered two cracked ribs from getting hit on the backside. And I tried really hard move out of the way that pitch but it still got me. I didn't try and move slightly only to be able to get first base. I tried to get out of the way because it was going to punish my body.

Oct 4, 2018
That's an example of batters learning how to create HBP.

Seems a bit odd. Perhaps "getting on base" is what some girls feel is their #1 job or what really makes them pumped up.

For my DDs, it's hitting the ball. They would never purposefully try to get hit. They purposefully try to get a hit.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Seems a bit odd. Perhaps "getting on base" is what some girls feel is their #1 job or what really makes them pumped up.
Well 🤷‍♀️ poll is almost 50/50 on the discussion topic of it being appropriate to get hit by pitch.

For my DDs, it's hitting the ball. They would never purposefully try to get hit. They purposefully try to get a hit.
Would agree that it is odd to make a rule batter does not have to try it to get out of the way.
Consequently,
The rule to not have to move to get out of the way of pitches became a way to get on base.

Which noticeably changed pitch locations for pitchers and what batters are, at times, deliberately doing.

Oct 4, 2018
Well your poll is missing the answer a few of us would like to pick:

Best to get out of the way in almost every case but a very close game.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The poll offered selections that were one or the other not both.
Other than that,
Anybody that wants to say hey my daughter got her elbow cracked open but we won the game are welcome to do so...

Is fair enough for people to have whatever opinions they want glad to have seen the poll turn out the way it did. With people sharing viewpoints on both sides. But I think there's the same point that could be made in a close game in the last inning that a batter that could destroy a pitch and hit a home run I'd much rather have the chance of a home run then the equivalent to a walk... while just standing there and letting the Pitch hit them

Jun 8, 2016
Getting hit is part of the game and in order to be a good hitter you have to move without fear of getting hit so it is good to teach them how to get hit..if necessary (some kids turn correctly by default) That is different than taking one for the team. I feel like I spend half my life working with my DD on her hitting so selfishly I want her to hit (I honestly don't even like it when she walks..) and I don't want anything she does (purposely) to effect her ability to do that in the next AB/Game/Week/Month/Year/Decade.... 🤷‍♂️

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Btw...
Generally in Polls if given the choice/outlet of picking the choice that is both answers in the same selection probably majority will pick the safe Choice the equivalent to selecting both than make the hard decision. 🤷‍♀️

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478