POLL~To move or Get hit by pitches~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Get hit by pitch or no, which is your preference?

• Get hit by pitch is right thing to do get 1st base..

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Never ok to purposely get hit.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Leaning into pitches is smart.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always make attempt to move out of way.

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
IMO, my bolded add to your statement is important when it comes to cheating. For example if somebody leaves 1st base early on a steal attempt just because they made a mistake and timed the pitcher incorrectly,
I wouldn't call that cheating even though they violated a rule. It might be semantics but the word cheating is pretty harsh so I think intent matters..
👍

Intent is a hard thing to rule on

Jun 8, 2016
👍

Intent is a hard thing to rule on
In the cases you gave for cheating, it isn't (especially the sticker one..hard to argue that was a mistake). In the case at hand (intentionally getting hit) I will agree it is hard to determine.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
In the cases you gave for cheating, it isn't (especially the sticker one..hard to argue that was a mistake). In the case at hand (intentionally getting hit) I will agree it is hard to determine.
Yes hard to determine!

Apr 14, 2022
One more time trying to explain.
1. A thief is in a store and slips a snickers into their pocket. Walks past the security guard and out the store.
2. A thief is in a store and slips a snickers into their pocket Walks past the security guard and gets arrested.
3. A coach instructs a player to stand in the river and lean into a pitch. The player stands in the river and leans into a pitch. The ump awards first base.
4. A coach instructs a player to stand in the river and lean into a pitch. The player stands in the river the ump has them move. The player then leans into a pitch. The ump calls the pitch a strike and does not award first base.

The thief’s actions are the same in scenarios 1-2.
The coach/player actions are the same in scenarios 3-4.

In the original post I was replied to intent was established.

5. The opposing coach/player sees number 3 and they do the same. I think this is what Rad is referring too. This one has more grey.

Apr 14, 2022
On a side note the NFHS softball rules appendix F section f.
I do not know if I can copy it.
It basically says a coach should know the rules, teach the rules, and not gain an advantage by acting outside the spirit of the rules.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
3. A coach instructs a player to stand in the river and lean into a pitch. The player stands in the river and leans into a pitch. The ump awards first base.
Do think there are some coaches/batters that want that to happen.
For others,
Crowding the plate is a strategy not necessarily to get HBP.
5. The opposing coach/player sees number 3 and they do the same. I think this is what Rad is referring too. This one has more grey.
*🙂 nice to see you recognize there is a grey moment that needs to be interpreted.
* specifically it is up to the Umpire to determine if there was a violation.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023
I think every players need to be taught how to properly take a HBP.

There are situations and pitch locations where you absolutely eat it. I would never coach my kids to just stand there while a 55+ mph balls comes in at their knees, ankle/feet, or head.

But mid/upper zone (chest to thigh), teach them how to properly take a pitch.

Also, there comes a time (pitch speed) when its hard to get out of the way. TEACH them how to take a pitch. Everyone talking about wrist and elbow injuries, how many of those were caused by the players just standing there taking one? Probably none. It was probably a ball that crept up on them inside and they just couldn't get out of the way.

There is a big difference in knowing how to take a HBP and just standing there letting the ball hit you. They make shirts with chest/rib/lower back protection and elbow guards, use them.

Absolutely agree here! If you haven’t spent time on how to properly take a pitch you should. Some are not avoidable and every kid should know how to brace the impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2019
I always taught how to take a HBP and suggested that it’s better to not jump out of the way. Some girls got good at taking a HBP and some didn’t.

My oldest daughter would lean into one if we needed base runners and they threw it inside off the plate. I don’t think my youngest ever got hit by a pitch, she always hit the eject button if one came into the box.

We had one girl on the team that got hit more than any kid I’ve ever seen…she was a magnet. In one tournament (14u) we played in she got hit, but wanted to continue the AB and argued with the umpire that it didn’t hit her. The only problem was that it squared up her thigh (didn’t glance off ) and didn’t even make it to home plate. The umpire started laughing hard and she just kept arguing. Eventually she walked to first, but kept saying it didn’t hit me. When she got to first I asked her what she was doing and she said, “I almost had him convinced, if you would have come help argue he would have believed it”. She’s 20 now and we still laugh about every time we run into each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802