*POLL* left team because

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Why leaving team?

• Playing time

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Coaches attitude/style

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Horrendous parents

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Ability level

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Coaching style

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Coaching ability

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Logistics

Votes: 9 15.0%

• Total voters
Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
For my DD it was that she just wanted more. She came to us and said she wanted to play at a higher level, wanted to practice at a higher level. We were at a decent team, but not at a level where kids wanted more. She said she wanted to be somewhere she would be pushed for playing time at her position and in the lineup. So as much as we loved that group, we knew that's what she wanted.

Nov 23, 2020
Change in organizational philosophy. We are from a smallish town, less than 25k, and team was put together Sept. 2019 after a couple of summer all star runs after city ball, starting with 2nd year 8U. The city fall leagues were a joke(if they made at all) and the oppurtunity to get reps and play against better competition in a tourny or maybe 2 a month was the carrot dangled out front of the horse, and we drank the Kool-Aid. Fast forward to this year tranistiioning to 1st year 10U in the fall, and we have been playing since Feburary(we got a few tournys in before COVID took over), sometimes multiple weekends in a row. Last tourny was supposed to be 2 tournys ago, and another was suggested on into December. With a struggling bat(mental block and not swinging at all) and other interests and kids other interests always putting tension and stress on the family, we made the decision to step away.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
My DD played with the same girls from first year 8U through the first year of 12U, when they transitioned to new coaches, - non-parent -, and things fell apart. Team chemistry went south, coach couldn't control the tween personalities, and things got kind of toxic - which was sad because they were pretty tight for 5 years there, and as players were pretty darn good. But the team environment was clicky and my DD felt the girls weren't really respectful or taking the softball seriously, or really willing to work hard together.

En masse, the team left the org, and 8 of the girls went to a rival org together, but my DD decided she was ready for something entirely new - she wanted a known, solid coach / program, and girls who wanted to play softball. She took a big risk leaving the only team she'd known, and is playing up to 14u in another city. Fought her way into the middle of the lineup, and while she no longer really gets reps at C, she's the lockdown second baseman. (still keeping up with catching lessons though, and catching for her pitcher friend's lessons, because she knows that it's a good skill to have just in case).

It worked out for most of them in the end. The old girls on their new team did well this fall in 12U, and seem happy with their new coach. And my DD is growing too as a ballplayer and is much happier with her new team's attitude.

So I guess our answer would be a mix of weak coaching personality which exacerbated or enabled lazy team attitude.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_2020-11-27-07-24-40-1.png
Screenshot_2020-11-27-07-25-07-1.png

Hmmm? As much as people bring up playing time did not factor in highly here for reason to leave.

Top reasons~
#1- Coaches attitude
#2- Ability level

😏 Do these have anything to do with eachother ?! Just askin'...

Aug 6, 2013
View attachment 20230
View attachment 20231

Hmmm? As much as people bring up playing time did not factor in highly here for reason to leave.

Top reasons~
#1- Coaches attitude
#2- Ability level

In DD’s case (ability level) the answer is no. Her very first coach was 100% a volunteer parent who was great and loving and nurturing and fostered DD’s love of the sport. Coach didn’t know much about the finer points/strategies of the game though. Moved to a team with a former D1 level asst. coach and found out how much DD didn’t know.

Each move really had nothing to do with the coaches at all except for the fact that the players they picked maybe weren’t the best for the level DD was wanting to play 🤷‍♀️

Apr 26, 2015
DD left her first team (after 4 years) for a laundry list of reasons. Coach was a nice guy (on the surface). No coaching going on - practices consisted of 2 girls hitting and the rest shagging for 2 hours. Coach was a cherry picker and had no interest in developing players - just bribed the good ones from other teams to come to his team and then he had no idea how to handle a large roster. He lied - and got kicked out of a well respected organization. Money disappeared. I could go on. Best thing we did was leave. (10u, 10u, 12u, 14B)

Left second team after 3 years (14A, 14A, 16A) because the coach decided to stop coaching. However, DD had already decided that she was ready to move on anyway. Her goals and the team goals were not well matched. DD lives and breathes softball and the team played to have fun and be social. 6 girls from the team stuck together but DD tried out for and made what is arguably one of the 2 best teams in our state (18G). She could not be happier! She has played 3 tourneys with the new team and said it is night and day. She went from being the best on the team to somewhere in the middle which is perfect - she wants to work and earn her spot and this gives her the push to do so. She has never sat - but with a roster of 15 (and most a year older than her) she will have to prove her worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2014
Why leaving team?
  • Playing time
  • Coaches attitude/style
  • Horrendous parents
  • Ability level
  • Coaching style
  • Coaching ability
  • Logistics

Could add Player's Health to that list, especially this year. Overall I think the school district I live in does a good job that doesn't change the fact that sports will likely go on with no testing (the same is likely true for club/travel teams).

Apr 28, 2014
View attachment 20230
View attachment 20231

Top reasons~
#1- Coaches attitude
#2- Ability level

Because people are convinced that their kid is better than they really are. We all are, why else would be jump on planes to play softball. Some of us know that we are somewhat crazy while others are still convinced that their kids are sitting because of a secret handshake between the coach and some other parent. Crazy part is that they continue this belief into HS ball.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K