*POLL* left team because

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Why leaving team?

• Playing time

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Coaches attitude/style

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Horrendous parents

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Ability level

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Coaching style

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Coaching ability

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Logistics

Votes: 9 15.0%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How about DD aged out.
Question is more of a decision people make. Try to see reasons people move on when they otherwise dont have to yet.
Aging up
Team broke apart
Not a choice.

Poll looks like coaches attitude is leading reason.

Anyone else think playing time would have challenging the lead more?

Last edited:
May 22, 2015
Illinois
I think “goals” would have been a good option as well. DD has left teams simply because her goals did not align with the team, wether it be coaches or players.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think “goals” would have been a good option as well. DD has left teams simply because her goals did not align with the team, wether it be coaches or players.
Thats a good point! Like that thought. Perhaps narrowing down goal defines why leave.
Her goal to what? Grow as a player?

So
Team Ability level?
Or
Coaches Ability to grow team?
Or
Playing time?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Playing time and coach is a jerk as reasons for leaving a team? Why did you join that team in the first place? I assume you as a parent attended the tryout and hopefully guest played on the team before officially joining($$$$). So unless the coach is a great Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde guy you kinda knew what you were getting into. As far as playing time go, you should have noticed that there was 7 or 8 returning studs out there and playing time was going to be hard to get. And when the coach says "we really like your daughter and like to offer your DD a spot on our roster" feel free to ask questions like, " OK coach, thanks, I like to know where do you see her hitting in the line up on your team?" If he has a quick answer like, "I see her getting playing time in the corners and a little time in RF too. Probably start off she will be batting in the 6th or 7th hole and if she improves she will move up," then that might be a good match. On the other hand, if Mr. Coach is startled by your question and gives some generic "we put the best 9 on the field come bracket games, blah blah blah" then he has offered her a spot on the roster at left bench (due$ payer.)
Hint: Do not join a 1st year 12u team that has 18 players on the roster already. Sound funny but I see it happen.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Playing time and coach is a jerk as reasons for leaving a team? Why did you join that team in the first place?

I assume you as a parent attended the tryout and hopefully guest played on the team before officially joining($$$$). So unless the coach is a great Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde guy you kinda knew what you were getting into. As far as playing time go, you should have noticed that there was 7 or 8 returning studs out there and playing time was going to be hard to get. And when the coach says "we really like your daughter and like to offer your DD a spot on our roster" feel free to ask questions like, " OK coach, thanks, I like to know where do you see her hitting in the line up on your team?" If he has a quick answer like, "I see her getting playing time in the corners and a little time in RF too. Probably start off she will be batting in the 6th or 7th hole and if she improves she will move up," then that might be a good match. On the other hand, if Mr. Coach is startled by your question and gives some generic "we put the best 9 on the field come bracket games, blah blah blah" then he has offered her a spot on the roster at left bench (due$ payer.)
Hint: Do not join a 1st year 12u team that has 18 players on the roster already. Sound funny but I see it happen.
surprised at your first couple sentences. cheesy playing time wouldn't expose itself until game time occurred. And coaches attitude or personality doesn't always show in the first one or two meet and greet.
It would be nice if the first impression had exposed flaws like being a liar.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You could add a couple of other reasons:

Aged out from the main core of the team

Team disbanded

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You could add a couple of other reasons:

Aged out from the main core of the team

Team disbanded
Question is more of a decision people make. Try to see reasons people move on when they otherwise dont have to yet.
Aging up
Team broke apart
Not a choice.

Poll looks like coaches attitude is leading reason.

Anyone else think playing time would have challenging the lead more?

Jun 30, 2020
Any time we have left a team it has been because of the coach.

First coach lied and said our daughter would be the #1 catcher after a private tryout and said that he had some top notch pitchers. Pitchers could not get it anywhere over the plate in the first tournament and my daughter spent the entire tournament chasing balls to the backstop. He then proceeded never to let her play catcher even in practice. Played his two buddy's daughters at catcher because their daughters decided they wanted to try a new position.

Got accepted to an organization. After being accepted they announced they were bringing in another team and some of our daughters would be with the new coach. Our daughter was one of them and he was just a nasty piece of work that would belittle the girls and talk bad about them to other parents.

Coach after that just acted like a clown on the field, played daddy ball to the hilt, and gave the most bizarre post-game speech during the last tournament of the season we played with him.

Coach after that lied and said they wanted my daughter at catcher and outfield. My daughter shows up to every practice, puts in the work, does just as well as the other girls in the outfield and at catcher even while coming off an injury. He sits her the entire first tournament and puts their starting pitcher in the outfield even though she never practiced it after a girl who showed up to maybe half the practices injures herself. I call the coach two days later to talk. He tells me he only plays his best 9, which he never told me before, and that if my daughter wanted playing time then we should pick up with another team. I probably would have told my daughter to stick it out and work hard for playing time if he had not made the pick up comment. I was not going to waste money on his team with that attitude.

We finally found the team with the right fit at coach, parents, and other players last year. Coach has been honest. Coach has been tough. Coach has not been outright nasty to any of the girls or lied to us. That goes a long way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802