POLL-How many times should a coach have to tell their players the same thing over and over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

How many times?

• 3 times in one day?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 6 times this weekend?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15 times this month?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 3 times in one day player should apply.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • 6 times this weekend parents need to teach discipline at home

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 15 times this month far too long befor parent involvement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Or no parent involvement just bench the player

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Just asking for conversation. Are you saying that you think parents should not support coaching efforts in conversations with their child off the field?
In other words parents should just stay out of it? Or what responsibility if any do you think parents have?

I agree w/ cnardone in principle. As a parent, my expectations are (1) child will be respectful; (2) child will be respected. For me to be involved in anything else, I need the child's permission. It's her activity, not mine. Children are in structured activities from morning until night nowadays, and I think they should have some control over their hobby.

That said, a child might welcome the feedback, and it's no big deal. So I'm not saying it's wrong for parents to coach their children. I just think it's really important to understand that it comes with their consent. I think kids have the right to tell parents, "I've got this, leave me alone,'' when it comes to non-behavioral issues in regard to softball or any other hobby.

Sep 19, 2018
Hmmm? Are you saying parents shouldnt support what the coach is coaching at home?

That video appears to be about parent coaching your own kid while they're playing in the game and that is not what I'm addressing here.
Specifically addressing
off-the-field conversation parent with child.

He does address off the field discussions but yes a lot of his comments are in regards to in game. Of course parents should support the coaches. but I don't think a home discussion on "Your are not calling the ball loud enough" or "You are not expanding your strike zone with 2 strikes" is how a parent should be supporting the coach. Children need parent support. They get told what to do by coaches and teachers and Parents (in regards to other activities) more than enough.
At most, "I see coach is correcting you about XXXX. Would you like for me to help you get better at that? If so, how?"

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
👉At what point do the parents need to start supporting the coach threw some sort of home discussion regarding their own daughter having some discipline. Whether that's through disciplinary action or teaching them about discipline, at what point should the parents get involved with their own child?
A parent's involvement should be somewhat limited based on their knowledge. When my DD was in grade school and high school, I would typically help her with any math/science related homework. My wife would handle history and literature. Now that she is taking classes like kinesiology, I would be more of a hinderance than a help. I still support her however I can. I just don't have the necessary knowledge to be as helpful as I once was.

In regards to disciplinary things, perhaps a conversation with the parent is in order at some point. Do your parents typically hang around at your practices? When I coached 12u, some parents would drop and run, not to be seen until the end of practice. Others would stay, but you could tell they were more involved in their conversations with other parents than with anything that was happening with the practice itself. If/when a disciplinary lapse would occur, I'm quite sure the parents would have never noticed. If you are trying to work through something with the player and they just don't seem to get it (or don't want to), perhaps a conversation with the parent would help. "I'm trying to explain this concept to Sally but I just can't seem to find the right words, can you help me?" At that age it may be good to speak with the player and the parent at the same time so that both are on the same page with you. I tend to equate coaching to teaching, especially at the younger levels. This type of meeting could be similar to a teacher/parent conference (if our education system still does those things...).

May 11, 2014
Imo the correct answer is- since no two players are the same then each player will require a different answer. As long as the player is giving the coach all they have what more can you get out of the player. Once a coach puts in the time to understand the players most of those issues resolve themselves

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Know wonder parents blame coaches so much.
From some of these replies they apparently dont have much of any responsibility.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
A parent's involvement should be somewhat limited based on their knowledge.
Or more expanded based on knowledge?
And should the parent try to grow their own knowledge?
A parent would only need to support what the coach is asking player to do.
LOL wouldn't actually have to think for themselves.
Just support the coach to try and get the kid on board with some sort of discussion regarding having the discipline to apply what the coaches trying to get them to do.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
By the way I just bring up some topics to discuss here. Not picking one side or the other. Just discussion.

My apologies if one of my replies was taken as a stab in the back by anybody. Just discussion.

Good Luck Everybody!

ZAP

Sep 19, 2018
Know wonder parents blame coaches so much.
From some of these replies they apparently dont have much of any responsibility.
That is completely, totally and grossly unfair. I pay for and bring my dd to both private hitting and pitching lessons. I've done countless side sessions for each on top of getting her to roughly 200 combined games and practices (45 minutes away) over the last 14 months. It is my responsibility to give my dd every opportunity she wants to get better. It is not my responsibility to beat her into submission over something like striking out looking or not being loud enough. If she doesn't do the things her coach wants, she can be benched.

By 2nd year 12U (certainly 14U) the vast majority of the girls know what they did or are doing wrong when the coach corrects them. The last thing they need is to come home and be berated about it by their parents.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
That is completely, totally and grossly unfair. I pay for and bring my dd to both private hitting and pitching lessons. I've done countless side sessions for each on top of getting her to roughly 200 combined games and practices (45 minutes away) over the last 14 months. It is my responsibility to give my dd every opportunity she wants to get better. It is not my responsibility to beat her into submission over something like striking out looking or not being loud enough. If she doesn't do the things her coach wants, she can be benched.

By 2nd year 12U (certainly 14U) the vast majority of the girls know what they did or are doing wrong when the coach corrects them. The last thing they need is to come home and be berated about it by their parents.
Do you realize this post is about parents stepping up to support their coaches!
Exactly what this post is about drawing attention to parents involvement with their children in the sport. Thank you for your absolutely fantastic involvement with your children. That is great to read. Compliment you! Thank you for posting about your involvement!

Let's see if we can get some more parents to be involved to help support their children!
AND support their coaches efforts!!!

In this way I am glad my post created a response from you 🙂. Thank you for paying attention!

(Not being snarky being very sincere!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee