POLL~About Travel Coach Pay

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Paid/ financial compensation?

• Yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
May 18, 2019
I think it unfortunately depends on the means of the parents. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and it seems unfair to have wealthy parents of travel ball kids being coached for free by coaches who often don't have the same means and who by definition live in a very expensive area. I do think we need to find a way for more lower income kids to receive scholarships.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I was a GM for a softball organization inside of a much larger baseball one. We had 11 teams to their 45. I didn't get paid, but both of my daughters did not pay dues for the years I was there, which saved me about $4,000 per year.

My third year there, one parent found out I didn't pay any dues and started to chirp that it was unfair. I then explained to her my business income was down almost three times what I saved by not paying dues because of all the time I volunteered to the teams. The amount of work I did was like having a second FT job. Had I continued with the organization, I would have demanded a salary to compensate me for lost income.

Some people just don't get how much work goes into coaching or managing.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019
I’m a non-coach, but it seems to be a no-brainer that travel coaches need some sort of compensation. Maybe discounted/free fees for their DD but definitely salary for non-parent coaches. No f-ing way I’m losing two nights a week and multiple weekends, taking away time from my own family to spend time with someone elses kids. It’s one thing if it’s for families of lower means, but it’s another thing for families with the means to pay thousands of dollars for travel fees and backup Ghost bats.

Apr 8, 2019
I was a GM for a softball organization inside of a much larger baseball one. We had 11 teams to their 45. I didn't get paid, but both of my daughters did not pay dues for the years I was there, which saved me about $4,000 per year.

My third year there, one parent found out I didn't pay any dues and started to chirp that it was unfair. I then explained to her my business income was down almost three times what I saved by not paying dues because of all the time I volunteered to the teams. The amount of work I did was like having a second FT job. Had I continued with the organization, I would have demanded a salary to compensate me for lost income.

Some people just don't get how much work goes into coaching or managing.
Parents what are you looking for in a coach and what does YOUR daughter want to do? It also depends on what this coach or GM brings to the table. If you are just a trophy chaser and not helping prepare them for college, then NO you should not get paid. Help them with the recruiting process, better training, realistic playing schedule etc.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If you are just a trophy chaser and not helping prepare them for college, then NO you should not get paid.
Wait a minute... coach provides a service for the players and families who want to Chase trophies.

The coach can help them Reach that goal. And takes all the same facilitation managing and time as a coach who wants to Showcase Players.

And in actuality even players who want to get scholarships do not get those scholarships just because of the coach. The coach provides facilitation and a vessel that is a means to exposure.
But most of the connective work is the player 99%.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
Wait a minute... coach provides a service for the players and families who want to Chase trophies.

The coach can help them Reach that goal. And takes all the same facilitation managing and time as a coach who wants to Showcase Players.

And in actuality even players who want to get scholarships do not get those scholarships just because of the coach. The coach provides facilitation and a vessel that is a means to exposure.
But most of the connective work is the player 99%.

Apr 8, 2019
I don't think all travel ball coaches should get paid to just chase trophies. In that case park a rec coaches should get paid too. If you are doing some serious traveling, then yes let them get paid but if you're only doing local play. For me, nope.

You're right about the 99% of the work is the player. But I think the coach can help guide you in the right direction, help with talking to college coaches and how to proceed. If they are doing that? Then I am all in. Once again I said it all depends on what you are looking for in a coach. That is what I will pay for not just trophies.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't think all travel ball coaches should get paid to just chase trophies. In that case park a rec coaches should get paid too. If you are doing some serious traveling, then yes let them get paid but if you're only doing local play. For me, nope.

You're right about the 99% of the work is the player. But I think the coach can help guide you in the right direction, help with talking to college coaches and how to proceed. If they are doing that? Then I am all in. Once again I said it all depends on what you are looking for in a coach. That is what I will pay for not just trophies.
* hmmm 🤔... yes Park and Recreation coaches should be compensated as well.

How about discussion on description of trophy chasing?
will bring up this perspective to that

What's interesting about trophy Chasers is that the coaches who are also showcasing players
(assumingly seem like they're not chasing trophies even though most compete in Nationals)
Some use the platforms of the players who went off to College on scholarships as their trophies.
They seem to think belongs to them as the coaches achievement. Which in a way it is an Accolade to the coaches facilitation of the team.
( however there are players who are already connected with colleges that join teams later and it has zero to do with the travel coach they play for now)

With that
Absolutely far less percentage of the time is a scholarship awarded because of the travel coach.

Realistically as you agree 99% of recruitment is on the athletes themselves connecting with colleges.

Those Scholarships are awarded after many years of an individuals application to developing their skill sets.

Which many times comes from playing for multiple different coaches and different teams.
( including the only trophy chasing coaches)
Sifting their way through The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

That and only the athlete is capable of developing great academic scores to be able to qualify!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You have tournaments/trophies and showcase/exposure. I like a little of both. Coaches should be compensated at minimal for travel and meals especially if they have no DD on team.

BUT if 99% of recruitment is on the athlete themselves then why would you pay extra to have a coach's name that you see once or twice a year attached to your team's name?

Nov 18, 2013

Not sure every team doing local play is chasing trophies. DD coaches in an org that has multiple teams at each age level. The top 1-2 teams play regionally or nationally. The rest are developmental and mostly play local. This year she’s coaching one of the local teams. Other years she’s coached national teams. This years kids are getting the same training from the same experienced coach as her national teams, but you don’t want her to get paid because she’s not traveling out of town?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478