POLL~About Travel Coach Pay

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Paid/ financial compensation?

• Yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Poll question
~ should travel ball coaches get paid / financial compensation?

(Not referring to how some coaches might separately do their own private lessons or Fielding type workouts.)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yes, but just like HS coaches the hourly rate is very low. Unless you have 8 or 9 teams with your name on them you probably have another job too. Clinics, lessons, and promoting games or tournaments can help make it worth the coach's time. Very few are getting rich at this game.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It's ok if it's based on coaching (not playing) experience and expertise. I know of organizations that pay for current college players to coach while expecting more experienced coaches to volunteer. That seems upside-down to me.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I am a non-parent TB HC with 18+ years of experience. I don't want compensation for actually coaching but it will cost me upwards of $2000 for the Summer season in traveling expenses out of my own pocket. As much as I love it, it would be nice to recoup the money I spend on traveling with the team such as hotel stays, meals, gas, etc. at least. Unfortunately, that would mean upping the team fee another $150 or so which I can't do since many of my players can barely afford what I charge now and that only covers about 75% of the total team budget needs. We do an awful lot of fundraising to make up the rest. To tell the parents we need an additional 2K in fundraising just seems unconscionable to me.

ETA: As far as I know, there are no paid coaches in my area either. However, there are Organizational heads in my area that are making their living off of the fees and "franchising fees" which I find unconscionable as well. If they can afford to make their living off of the organization, then they should get a real job and pay their coaches or at a minimum, reimburse their travel expenses. JMHO. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, my organization head is as much a volunteer as I am. I wouldn't be coaching in the organization otherwise.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018
TB coaches should 100% be paid. If not outright at least all travel expenses covered with a meal allowance. Except for parent-coaches - they have to be there anyway so IMO they should be paid for their coaching work but not reimbursed for travel/food/hotel.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Nice to see people participating in the poll.

Given all the extra work that travel ball coaches put in to facilitating a team.
Plus the cost of expenses attributed to attending to coaching the team
imo travel ball coaches should be financially compensated.

For those that select no compensation would be interested to read those reasons?

Simply sharing perspectives can broaden thinking on the subject.

GO DFP !

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Every TB team DD had been on, the coach or coaches had had a DD on it. I dont think they got paid, but I also don't think they paid for their DD, so it all worked put, I guess.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
As a parent-coach, my DD's TB fees were reduced (I don't remember the percentage, it could have been half, but probably less). I also got two shirts, a hat, windbreaker, and windpants to wear for games at no charge. All travel costs were out of my own pocket.

I believe if you have a non-parent coach, you better at least cover their travel expenses and a stipend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog