POLL 🏁Catchers secondary position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Catcher secondary position

• outfield

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • corner

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • mid infield

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • pitcher

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
C and P can be tough. I would avoid this combination if you can. Pick one or the other.

Corners seems like a good anwser to me.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Is there a common secondary position for Catchers?
Lets find out !

Corners may be
Outfield could be
Mid infield a possibility
Pitcher - (read a post on dfp has one)

Starting in travel
My secondary position was 3rd a little.
Out field maybe 5 games literally :)

Why isn't DP on the list? Catchers get abused in summer TB with heat, humidity, and wearing all the "tools of ignorance".

Jun 26, 2019
Kids these days ...

When I was a kid, catchers were catchers from the moment we got off of the dinosaurs we rode to practice to the moment we got back on the dinosaurs.

Somehow we had to run uphill to every base. Home to first? Uphill. First to second? Uphill. Second to third? Uphill. Third to home? Uphill. The walk back to the dugout? Uphill.

We didn't have lights. We had cows that walked around with lanterns tied around their necks. Until the dinosaurs ate them.

Speaking of those days, reminded me that Johnny Bench mentioned playing outfield in an interview, not sure how often than happened. Maybe mostly game 2 of double headers?

Sep 15, 2020
DD was 3rd/OF until 14u then converted to SS because of her athleticism and her arm then less than a year later converted to a Catcher. First year 16u now and she'll play anywhere that gets her on the dirt but listed as C/SS for both HS and Club teams.

Sep 17, 2009
My starting catcher's secondary position tended to be rest+EP if they could hit. Otherwise, just rest + help the backup manage the game + warmup pitchers but mostly rest.

The second string catcher is more likely to require a second position because if they only catch 1 out of 5/6 games they'll soon be your ex-catcher :)

My oldest was a lefty catcher and a lefty first-baseman, the skills really transferred. Unusual even if less-so in fastpitch then baseball...

May 6, 2015
DD and other catcher on her team split time about 60/40 (oin DDs favor), and most of the time she is not behind plate she sits (he is batting everyone currently), plays maybe one out of four innings not catching in OF, and she is quite content (and yes, occassionally has to warmup a pitcher during games)

Sep 13, 2020
My starting catcher's secondary position tended to be rest+EP if they could hit. Otherwise, just rest + help the backup manage the game + warmup pitchers but mostly rest.

The second string catcher is more likely to require a second position because if they only catch 1 out of 5/6 games they'll soon be your ex-catcher :)

My oldest was a lefty catcher and a lefty first-baseman, the skills really transferred. Unusual even if less-so in fastpitch then baseball...

Agree, when my DD1 isn't catching she's usually an EH. When she does play a secondary it's usually 1B but she really doesn't have enough reps yet to not be awkward in the position.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Mine was a catcher only. From U8 and on. She never owned anything other than a catcher's mitt. She recently got invited to play in a co-ed slow pitch tournament and played outfield (with her last catcher's mitt). It was an ... experience; one I doubt she ever repeats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28